Difference between aanoise and Turbulent noise

Hi Everyone,

Just had a quick question that someone could maybe help me out with...

What is the difference between turbulent noise using the perlin function and using aanoise with the perlin function?

aanoise seems to give you values in the negative and the turb noise has different fall off due to the attenuation calculation on the node, but what would be the main reason to use the one over the other ? besides the default starting look ? Are there any speed or render noise differences?

Many Thanks

aanoise has less options, but can take a 4float vector as an input. 4th channel means noise can evolve, rather than just being re-positioned. aanoise ranges from -0.5 - 0.5

Turbulent noise has more noise types. Each noise type has a different output range. This is documented in the help file, as well as the cost for each noise.

Unified noise is like an uber version of noise functions. Very slow, but has a lot of great options in it.

I typically use aanoise any time I need noise with simple evolution parameters. Unified noise I use for displacements because it looks very natural. Turbulent noise I tend to use in most in-between cases.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bandini said:

aanoise has less options, but can take a 4float vector as an input. 4th channel means noise can evolve, rather than just being re-positioned. aanoise ranges from -0.5 - 0.5

Turbulent noise has more noise types. Each noise type has a different output range. This is documented in the help file, as well as the cost for each noise.

Unified noise is like an uber version of noise functions. Very slow, but has a lot of great options in it.

I typically use aanoise any time I need noise with simple evolution parameters. Unified noise I use for displacements because it looks very natural. Turbulent noise I tend to use in most in-between cases.

Thank you for your reply,

I was messing around with some render tests and noticed that at higher frequencies the aanoise seemed to be much softer than the turb noise equivalent, the aliasing must be having a greater effect at higher freq.

I will defiantly be looking at using the unified noise in the future. I think that once you have added and multiplied several "regular" noises together to get the look that you want the cost of using it may just average out.

Many thanks

R