vertex animation -BBOX MAX & MIN values help

Maxc

I'm struggling to get data out of the position map, its just grey. I'm assuming its do with the bbox values.  In the GDC2017 cloth example there are values here. but when I use the vertex animation node, the -BBOX MAX & MIN values are not automatically filled out.  Where do these values come from and  how do you get them?   Out of curiosity, what are they for and what do they mean to Unreal? 

Thanks.

First question - are you using apprentice? If so, then unfortunately the tool won't work. 

The values are used if you normalize the values. They allow a texture between the range of 0 and 1 in pixel values to be expanded back to their world space values. 

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I too am having this same exact problem. I have basically followed along with the Houdini for Games Webinar, so my setup is pretty much the same. Grid turned to cloth falls on a static object... really no difference. But when I render, the BBox values do not populate. I have tried to install the update above and it still don't work. I am running a commercial version of Houdini 16.0.557. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey Mike,

I works! Well, almost :) The issue I see now, is that the end of the cloth sim from Houdini to Unreal do not match, even when my num_frames param both match. See attached images. Thanks for your help and feedback! I appreciate it man!

-Ernie

HoudiniCloth.JPG

UnrealCloth.JPG

Hey Mike,

Well... it did work when I updated and ran it on my current test... but when I uprez'd my grid cloth by adding more rows and columns, re-cached it and re-rendered it, I got this result below. I have tried to revert the cloth back to the original settings, I cannot get it to be correct again. I have also re-created the Unreal side of things and still cant get it to work. Thoughts?

Ernie

HoudiniCloth.JPG

UnrealCloth.JPG

There's a number of places where that could be causing problems.

Have you tried creating a new vertex_animation_textures node?

Instead of clicking reimport in ue4, delete the asset and import from scratch. Don't forget to set high precision uv's.

Is the resolution of the texture correct? In other words are number of pixels in x the same as the number of points on the new mesh and the number of pixels in y the same as the number of frames?

If none of that helps I'll have to see the hip file again.

Mike

Hey Ernie,

In fixing one issue I broke something else.  The quick solution for you is to increase the Target Texture Size to 2048. I think that should work for now until I update the node to deal with total number of points greater than max width of texture.