Mind Thrower

Houdini L-system based procedural forest and plants generator.

Greetings.

I can't throw away my idea about creating forest and plants generator. And for this purpose i will use houdini l-system. Yes, this is hard, but other systems usefull only for bushes or some abstract plants, i think.

It will be long project. Later will add some progress pictures.

• Like 1

At first i decided to make spruce or Picea Abies, cause think it is the most complicated tree.

Current progress presented in pictures. This is half of work on spruce. Next step will be replace curves in long branch with small branches with needles.

spruce_small_branch_v001.jpg

spruce_big_branch_v001.jpg

spruce_v001.jpg

• Like 5

I have a house in the countryside, and on weekend made some photo.

I was very impressed of what i saw.

Some refs in attach.

spruce_form.jpg

branch_structure.jpg

branch_needles.jpg

• Like 1

Little update.

Made 300 unique trees on grid with scatter. What is unique - generations, seed and height.

Next try to make more flexibility with randomness or almost all elements and pack it in asset with all parameters.

spruce_300_unique_v001.jpg

• Like 3

Took a break from l-system coding and made some grow test. Just for fun =)

Rebuilded branch structure, added some angle parameters to needles and the probability of their growth.

It's just simple colors captured from viewport.

Forgot how to paste video in post body, so here is a link below. If some one knew how to paste it, please wright in reply!

https://vimeo.com/222534286

• Like 1

Rebuilded long branches structure. Added parameters to control length, tropism, angle and random angle of all lateral branches individually, based on growth rules.

On picture there is just a quick test on tube, to check how randomness work. All long branches have unique structure based on growth formula with different probabilities of cutting lateral branches.

Still a lot of work to do.

long_branch_rebuilded0150.jpg

Connect small branches to main branch. Need some tune there.

Think it is time to work with instances=) One branch is about 1.200K polygons. Optimization will be later on.

Made some simple render with lights, but no materials.

branch_rendered_v002.png

Looking very cool. I'd recommend a LOD bake-down cutoff for trees / branches beyond a certain distance to cam, though. Otherwise... madness.

• Like 1

Thanks for advice, stickman. Yeah, I really think about LODs. In the other hand curve rendering with controllable width parameter from ramp can solve problem with polygon count for mid and far planes. Will try different solutions.

Made some render test, just place branches with different iteration on top of each other with small offset.

Changes - fading needles angle, rebuild branch grow structure.

branch_rendered_v005.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vlb6 said:

Great work - really interesting stuff!

Thanks! 

Stuck with the hardest thing - connect all parts of the tree together and make it usable.

nice!
Pine like this usually has a shift from reddish to blueish grey somewhere along the trunk. If you're interested,  I can dig out a photo I made as reference.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stickman said:

nice!
Pine like this usually has a shift from reddish to blueish grey somewhere along the trunk. If you're interested,  I can dig out a photo I made as reference.

Thanks, stickman!
Ofc I am interested! The more references, the better will be final product)
Later will post my references too and I found that different trees has different colors, think that it is dependent of age of the tree.