FLIPs Waterline Feature

ikatz001

Hi all,

I am using the new waterline feature in flips in H16. It is working fine at first, but I tried to key the waterline to move up during the simulation and it seems to have no effect. The particles still escape even though they are below the waterline. The simulation only respects the initial waterline level and does not move dynamically as its keyed. 

Is this normal behavior? Any idea what might be causing this and how to properly move the waterline as the simulation advances?

Many Thanks.

I am trying to understand what you are going for here. You are keying the waterline parameter up so the water level will raise higher and lower? Maybe posting a sample file of what you are experiencing would help more in this case.

Hey,

Nope. I am trying to control where the particles can and cannot escape the tank, via the waterline. (which I understand is supposed to be a new feature in H16 that does just that). Keying the waterline mid sim so you have dynamic control seems to have no effect (as it it is only evaluating at first frame). 

Any ideas?

That is probably normal operation. In none of the video tutorials provided by SideFX do they "animate" the water line. If that is a requirement of your scene you should take another approach such as using deforming collision objects to emulate the water line.

Edited by Atom

don't know you are doing as it works here and your thread on SideFx forums was answered by the developer whom writes the code and he mentioned that it works. 

• 3 years later...

I know this is a super late response, but I was looking into the same issue and I figured I should post my solution for posterity:
If you view the dependencies on the waterline parameter on the flip solver, you'll get a big list of parameters that are being driven by it inside the solver.  It's a bit tedious, but if you go to each linked parameter and change the drop down to the left from Use Default to Set Always the waterline will update throughout the sim.