ocean spectrum questions

johnLIC

I'm trying to make an ocean surface about 10 meters across, with a quiet feel.  I'm having trouble making waves that have peaks without a lot of higher frequency displacement.  How can I get waves that are peaked but not lumpy?  I need to export displacement maps to be rendered outside of Houdini, so I don't have the advantage of the Houdini ocean shader.

I think I've got enough resolution in my maps (3000 x 3000).  When I try to filter out the lumps I lose the peaks and it looks like a rubber sheet.  

illustration.png

just a thought:

- with a grid of 10x10, set ocean spectrums "resolution exponent" to something like 10 or 11. 
- on you ocean evaluate, set downsampling to a higher value like 3 or 4 
- if waves too fast, lower ocean spectrums "timescale"

this should help i think.

I'm having a go at it, but downsampling 3 or 4 results in that quilted, square patches look.  I'm just having a hard time imagining how it's going to work conceptually.  If I could gamma the map so the high values are higher, that might make the waves crisper, but I'm not sure how to do that between the ocean spectrum and the ocean evaluate.  I'd like to do it to the output .exr map in Nuke, but my non-commercial license only outputs 1920x1080...