Extruded Voronoi (MVSM fx)

caskal

Hello magicians,

Been trying to tackle an effect from ManvsMachine with no luck, here is the effect (black voronoi at begginig) 

I'm having issues to control de inset (or thickness attribute) with a attribute transfer, I dont know if they do this way or with a noise, but I'm not able to make the voronoi caps small with that smooth effect.

Also the shapes there seems to be not only a voronoi fracture but more uniform, I tried a voronoi based in curvature and with a paint sop, here is what I have so far:

2017-06-22_08-28-16.gif.381a40e91cfe129478a1f8ea814938eb.gif

Attached are my files, any tip would be great, thanks! 

@f1480187 tagging the master here.

hypervenom_test01.hip

hypervenom_test02.hip

If you see spikes, it probably Extrude, Bevel or Starburst. All three seems to use same unreliable algorithm producing spikes. Try to toggle Limit Insetting checkbox several times: it didn't even output same spike artifacts.

There is no good solution, probably. Execute "cd /path/to/current/geo/; opadd -e polyextrude" in textport and find ancient PolyExtrude node. As far as I remember, it also produced spikes, but it seems to work on dinosaur.

ap_hypernose_fix.hipnc

Edited by f1480187

Thanks for the tips guys!

There it goes again @f1480187 with those handy vex snippets, still afraid to make the jump myself. Awesome tip in the spikes question by @atom been strugling with those a lot.

Got a couple of questions:

1) f1 you made the noise with a wrangle to drive the scale, it will be the same if I do the noise via VOP and export as an attribute to read them later in the primitive scale sop?

2) When I do noises they dont have that jiggly/woobly smooth effect, what is driving those in your wrangles? if im correct the paramenter in vops is roughness but still these seem smoother

3) On the geo part, polys seem to have different vertex count (or maybe is my eye and all are 5 with small splits), I tried with voronoi, changing the pscale size and driving the scatter by curvature to get randomness but didnt get to that, best result I had is with a paint spray sop, any ideas on this? 

parts.jpg.ce3ab7d019c44bfbf4e7d53535193c86.jpg

I did a "cheat" version myself by doing the base mesh in houdini and using a cinema4d morph with falloff to drive the animation, and I thought these can be done in Houdini with a vdb morph inside a solver, my question is, there is a way to drive the vdb morph with a falloff? (like an attribute transfer)

2017-06-27_09-23-28.gif.d7bec4f6ed867b7ef66e1f7b340d581a.gif

Sorry if im being picky here, I get crazy when I think I can do something and I'm stuck in the middle :D

Thanks again!

Cheers!

1. Same thing, but you can use any generic Perlin noise. Being lazy to setup full noise or ramp mechanisms with VOPs, I often prefer to do a basic code in wrangle. It is less convenient to fine-tune and remap in code, though.

2. Use lower frequencies. There are visualizers set on wrangles. You can see the noises looks more like a animated gradients.

3. I'm not sure about this part. As usual, an original creator played randomly with different parameters and nodes, and learning person got a living hell trying to achieve same thing with a determined algorithm. It seems more like simple scaling, but using actual Voronoi and it's "Cut Plane Offset" may be involved. You get squares when cell points aligned into a square grid. This cells may be actual squares and triangles, but at same time they may only appear like that, due to cell point alignment. Since you do a single high-resolution effect, I think it is nice to arrange some points by hand.

4. And I know nothing useful about such VDBs techniques, hope other can help with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, f1480187 said:

1. Same thing, but you can use any generic Perlin noise. Being lazy to setup full noise or ramp mechanisms with VOPs, I often prefer to do a basic code in wrangle. It is less convenient to fine-tune and remap in code, though.

2. Use lower frequencies. There are visualizers set on wrangles. You can see the noises looks more like a animated gradients.

3. I'm not sure about this part. As usual, an original creator played randomly with different parameters and nodes, and learning person got a living hell trying to achieve same thing with a determined algorithm. It seems more like simple scaling, but using actual Voronoi and it's "Cut Plane Offset" may be involved. You get squares when cell points aligned into a square grid. This cells may be actual squares and triangles, but at same time they may only appear like that, due to cell point alignment. Since you do a single high-resolution effect, I think it is nice to arrange some points by hand.

4. And I know nothing useful about such VDBs techniques, hope other can help with that.

Thanks for the useful info @f1480187 , you are a great teacher!

Cheers!