leota

Houdini Engine: Manipulate geometry at runtime in Unity

Hi everyone,

I made an asset in Houdini, just a simple sphere, and exposed it's frequency parameter. I've loaded this into unity and I'm able to change the frequency in the editor with no problems.

Is there any way I can do this at runtime too? Let's say creating a GUI slider which updates the frequency parameter of my sphere at runtime. I've searched online and it seems Houdini does not allow this, but I'm hoping I'm wrong or that someone as found a workaround.

I made some time ago a proof of concept where you can use houdini as backend and at runtime it loads the mesh in the engine.

It would also work with houdini engine!

What i have done is i made a backend server where the unity runtime can communicate (REST API) and for loading the mesh i used a http server.

It works but it was slow and you have some limitations it depends what you want todo? Whats your final target?

This is the threejs version but the backend is the same (first version i made with unity): 

Edited by Mandrake0

Hey Mandrake0, thank you. I've played with your HTTP server time ago, it's great, but it obviously has some delays, especially if the geometry is quite heavy. I'm trying to create a game, actually just experimenting at the moment, where the enviroment keeps mutating based on the user movement, action, ect. So having the Houdini Engine iteracting directly with the user input would have been the perfect solution with great result at no cost, but SideFX wants to make me code more :) 

Regarding your project, I don't think it would work in this case. I need something which updates in relatime.

It's not for your case. What i don't know is how well the thrift API works in the unity runtime. I wish you good luck that you will find a solution for your project! ;)

In Unity, in the Inspector of your HDA, Asset Settings/Cooking/ "Play Mode Per Frame Cooking"

I'm updating a VOP Noise with a $F (in the promotted Offset.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.