• 1 year later...

Hey Mark,

I downloaded your shared run! file, thanks for that!  It really helps me with what I am working on right now. I rebuild it and learned a lot about houdini, I normally work in cinema and just started to get into Houdini. Now I am trying to get it to work with an imported alembic file, but it wont work out.

Can you maybe answer a few newbie questions?

What is the function of that rubbertoy in there?

What way of loading the geometry in the alembic node alembic would you recommend? Its an animated ring with PLA, so far only the deprecated loading as Houdini geometry seems to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've attached a cleaner and updated (for H17.0+) version of this hip file.

What is the function of that rubbertoy in there?

In the original file, the rubber toy was in there for initial tests. It serves no purpose.

What way of loading the geometry in the alembic node alembic would you recommend?

Load your alembic geo in as houdini geo or delayed load primitives. Put down an unpack sop, and a convert sop to manipulate it in Houdini.

If you're in need of more help, upload your file and your alembic caches so I or anyone else can set you in the right direction.

run_smoke_v003.hipnc

Edited by markingleukc
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

Mark, thank you for this great help!

Please could I ask you to give me a bit more advice on one thing? How would I go about making the goal a moving object?

I've animated the goal moving in sops, but I can't quite figure out how to have Houdini evaluate it's position properly in dops. I've tried replacing the default expression in the smoke objects creation frame with $F, and naturally I get it creating a "copy" of it for each frame. So I'll end up with a goal for every frame that it's moved through.

Basically I just want the smoke to "find" the goal where ever it happens to be and attract to it...then I'll make it move off and dissipate. 

So my final sequence will be a steaming cup, the steam rises, momentarily forms a rising word...then dissipates.

Would be much appreciated if someone could advise me further.

Cheers!

You can set the default operation to set always on the sopscalarfield1 node which sources the goal field from sops. At the moment it’s set to set initial, which doesn’t reevaluate the sop geo on each frame. Having it on set always ensures that the sop geo is sourced on every frame/substep. 

With the above applied you simply add animation to your goal geo in sops and voila!

• Like 1