Scatter points by size

logix1390

Hello,

I have two pieces of wood, one big and one small.

I am going to end up fracturing tons of wood later on and I would like to have a good method on scatter points based on how big each piece of wood is.

If the wood is small I would like only a few points scattered inside, and if the wood is big then I want more points scattered. 

I have a rough solution for this, but it does not seem to be a very promising solution. Basically I calculated the area and the volume of each piece and multiplied them together with another seed value. It works, but a solution like this may run into issues . I was hoping someone could help me come up with a better solution for this.

I will attach my scene file for anyone who wanted to take a look. Thank you.

scatter_points_by_size.hip

You can use an isooffset to scatter some points into the interior of the shape. By naming the resulting volume density the Scatter node can read that and will distribute points in brighter areas. The VolumeVOP presents some noise controls for the volume. Also, you can use a point replicate on low count pieces to create little clusters around a central point.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_scatter_points_by_size.hipnc

Edited by Atom

Hey Atom!

Thank you for the help. This is a very interesting method for scattering , I will see that I use this in the future.

My current situation is that I have a procedural house model with hundreds of wooden beams. Some beams are smaller than others. I was hoping to get a good method on scattering points on each piece based on it's size. So a small piece would only get a few points scattered and a large piece would get many more. As you see in the file, I measure by volume and area and scatter based on a quick expression I came up with. I was hoping to get some feedback on my method really , or if their is a better method I can try out.:) 

Thank you for the help

Hey Noobini,

All of my wooden pillars in my actual scene are merged as one, and I am doing a scatter and voronoi inside a foreach. Unfortunately I am not allowed to post up my actual file. I should have been a little more clear in my test file, ,my apologies.

The points from volume seems to be doing the trick, with far less nodes than before.

Thank you for your help :)