Prometheus Exercise

jon3de

hi,

This is a shot I did with my colleague. This shot is a imitated shot from the Prometheus movie. So it´s not an creative achievement but it´s great to get deeper into Houdini and for learning some new techniques. We created this shot completely from scratch for ourselves to get more experience and speed in more cinematic like sequences which are a nice variety to our daily work.  

I was responsible for the ground setup, Lighting, Rendering, Compositing, FX. My colleague did all the animation, modeling of the rover and mountains, matte painting.

Except modeling of mountains, camera animation and rover model everything is houdini.

After a little RnD about the ifd workflow I was pretty surprised how well mantra performed with millions of stones and the ultra wide scale of the scene. Average rendertimes of the scene was around 10 minutes. 

Of course its no high-end quality but its the quality what we were able to achieve in the amount of time we had. We leave it like that for know and concentrate ourselves on the next shot :) I hope you like it. 

kind regards

Jon

• Like 6