Attribute to Texture Map

Hi all,

Is there a way to create a texture from an attribute on the fly?

For example say we've scattered some geometry on a grid and wanted to create a bulge or a small deformation around the borders of our scattered geometry on our grid. If we up the subdivisions of the grid really high then we can achive this directly in sop with an attribute transfer and a pointWrangle but the grid is no longer managable. Is there a way to create a diplsacement map from the static high resolution grid relative to its UVs and use it on the original grid?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was looking for a way to create the texture on the fly and not by baking. In theory it doesn't sound difficult so I'm sure there is a way of going about this. 

I've got what I'm looking for working on a flat grid by tranfering the attribute on a flat volume and then importing the volume in cop using sopImport. Then I can reference the result using the "op:" trick in my displacement texture input. 

However I'm still trying to get this working on arbitrary geometry by transfering the attribute on a flat grid using the UVs of my original geometry. I'll post an example scene if I can get this to work but please let me know if you have any suggestions on this. 

Please add your support for an RFE I submitted the other day RFE #83658

Please consider adding a proper COPS Wrangle with a way to consume referenced SOP data.

This will allow not just VEX procedural image creation, but with easier access to SOP data, all kinds of useful things.

We currently have Vertex maps, but they are dependent on Geo density for Image fidelity.

With SOP data feed into a COPS Wrangle, we can do the Blender Dynamic Paint Surface effects: https://docs.blender.org/manual/ja/dev/physics/dynamic_paint/canvas.html