rich_lord

Snapping while ignoring relative spacing between components

rich_lord    161

Hello. I'm modelling more and more in Houdini, but there's still a couple of things that I need to make it fast.

Say I have a certain number of points selected, when I use the snap tool, the relative difference between the points is retained. That's great for many things.

Often though, I want to snap to a point, and have every point snap individually. So, if I snapped a bunch of points in the Y direction to another point, all the points would end up with an equal Y value, regardless of their initial spacing.

I know there are ways to do this, but they are all multiple steps, for example, grouping, or setting the y value with a wrangle. These methods are too slow for an operation I need to do many times a minute.

Here's a picture to hopefully illustrate what I mean. I want to quickly set the selected points to the same y value. In other packages, i'd do this by snapping them all to a point with ignore component spacing turned on.

snap.jpg

marty    574

I don't that feature is fully supported yet, please RFE it!, but for now you can use shift-S to straighten the points, then use the Slide On Surface to position them 

• Like 1

Houdini7    2
18 hours ago, marty said:

I don't that feature is fully supported yet, please RFE it!, but for now you can use shift-S to straighten the points, then use the Slide On Surface to position them 

Shift+S is shrink selection ???

rich_lord    161

Thats a neat trick Houdini7. Its pretty quick for axis alligned snapping.

If I have something that is off axis that i'd like to strighten out, its a bit more of a pain. You can repeat your trick by using orientation picking to rotate the handle. It works, its just a lot of clicking and fiddling about. 

In general, I use orientation picking alot when im modelling, and Houdini's is a bit hidden away, and not very streamlined.

But that has helped me a bunch for the time being. Thanks for that Houdini7!

Houdini7    2
15 minutes ago, rich_lord said:

Thats a neat trick Houdini7. Its pretty quick for axis alligned snapping.

If I have something that is off axis that i'd like to strighten out, its a bit more of a pain. You can repeat your trick by using orientation picking to rotate the handle. It works, its just a lot of clicking and fiddling about. 

In general, I use orientation picking alot when im modelling, and Houdini's is a bit hidden away, and not very streamlined.

But that has helped me a bunch for the time being. Thanks for that Houdini7!

Yes, if it is not aligned, you have to use Orientation Picking. It is a little bit cumbersome, especially if you come from Maya.

Edited by Houdini7

marty    574
3 hours ago, Houdini7 said:

Shift+S is shrink selection ???

only if you are using Selection tool. Try the EditSop.

• Like 1