Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nigelgardiner

Installing a new version of Houdini 16 on Ubuntu?

Hi There

I have Houdini 16 running on Ubuntu 16.04.

Now I need to install a daily build.

Could someone tell me the easiest way to go about this please?

thanks

Nigel.

Download the Linux installer, run it in a terminal with sudo, follow the prompts and use the defaults unless you otherwise have a reason to do so. You can install as many versions of Houdini on a machine as you want until you run out of hard drive space.

Hi Lukeiamyourfather

Excuse my ignorance.. I run Houdini from terminal, will running "Houdini" pick up the latest version or would I need to run "Houdini-version number"?

thanks

Nigel.

cd to your different location ($HFS),source and run or create alias in your bashrc file(is that work ?)

I think that makes sense, returning to linux/unix after twenty odd years so rusty as.

Thanks.

Either launch Houdini with the menu item for the version you want (Gnome and other desktop environments feature this) or launch a specific version from the terminal. For example /opt/hfs16.0.633/bin/houdinifx for that specific version. There's a bash setup script in the root folder of each Houdini install which will crate temporary paths and such but you don't have to use it.

At the moment I have to run source houdini_setup in /opt/hfs16.0.670 before running Houdini otherwise it defaults to Houdini16.0.633 so I guess I have something set up wrong somewhere..

thanks

I don't think Houdini is in the path by default so it might've been added at some point. After you first login open a terminal and type "echo $PATH" and see what you get. Is there a Houdini directory in there?

No, no Houdini directory.

nigel@user-PC:~$ echo $PATH
/home/nigel/bin:/home/nigel/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

thanks

Nigel.