Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Juraj

GLSL shader questions

Hello,
I would like to experiment with GLSL shaders in Houdini viewport a bit, but I had very little success yet :)

As a simple thing I would like to create a "matcap" shader, I have this shader in mantra and it works well, but it is quite simple logic in it and I would like to try it out in GLSL as well.

I tried two approaches for creating glsl shaders:

• New Operator Type - SHOP Type - GLSL Shader
    • This approach does not give me any results, the default shader has quite complex code and in the viewport I can see only white color. I tried to modify couple of variables in the code to at least change color from white to red, but unsuccessfully :)
  • Reference ogl_glsl_shader parameter on a shader pointing to shader.prog file which references to shader.frag and shader.vert
    • This gives me results in the viewport and works quite well, however I do not know how to reference node's parameter value to the GLSL variables. I created those files based on examples in $HFS/houdini/glsl

//fragment shader

in vec2 matUv;
out vec4 color;

uniform sampler2D tex;

void main()
{
    vec3 base = texture2D( tex, matUv ).rgb;
	color = vec4( base, 1. );
}

First question: how can I reference parameter on the node to the tex variable in opengl? When googling I found some examples which implied that only creating string parameter tex should work, but when running their example files I never got any result in the viewport.

Second question: is this the correct workflow? How could I achieve the same thing with New Operator Type workflow? Do you have some simple examples of those nodes with basic shading? E.g. sampling a texture, using constant color...

Thanks for any clarification,
Juraj