Data From Dop To Pop

iamjaideep80

Hi guys........

I am facing a problem in DOPs . I want to get RBD data from DOPS to POPs.

I don't want Geometry Information, but just translation and rotation information of each object in RBD.

Plz tell me how can i do it in Houdini 8.

Thanking in advance.......

.............Jaideep

There is currently no dedicated POP for doing this. But you can easily extract the information using DOP expression functions. To get the location of a DOP RBD object, use the expression:

dopoptions("/obj/dopnet1", "rbdobj1", "Position", "tx")

The last parameter then just has to be changed to ty, and tz to get all the position information which can be used easily with a Position POP.

The rotation information is a little bit more tricky. The Rotation POP requires you to specify the rotation as an axis and angle of rotation. But rotation information can only be extracted from DOPs as a quaternion (using "orientx/y/z/w" in place of tx in the above expression) or a set of Euler angles (using "rx/y/z"). Fortunately the conversion of a quaternion to an angle/axis value is pretty easy.

angle = acos(orientw) * 2

axis = normalize(orientx, orienty, orientz)

The other trick is making sure there is an easy expression to map your particles to the DOP object they represent. If there is a one to one correspondence between particles an DOP Objects, you can just use "$PT" in the above expression in place of "rbdobj1" to identify the DOP object of interest.

Mark