Creating foot down state and using it for emission

starlighter

Hi all!

I am a fairly new user of Houdini, and was wondering if anyone can help me out or point me into a good direction on how to create a foot down state, or anything similar to that, that i can use further down as an emission for particles or just creating simple geo.

In case i didn't explain well above, i'll give you an example. I have a horse running across the field and i need to emit/generate content only on the first contact when the hoofs touch the ground and not through the entire time when they are touching it.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers!

One way is to use an attribute transfer to transfer color from one surface to another when they are close, such as footprints. The result is you will have a bright color on the ground only at the places where the foot once touched. Then you can delete non-bright points and supply those remaining bright points to a particle system for emission.

Check out this video for more details or download the example files.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/geometry-solver-footprints/

Edited by Atom

Hey Atom, thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, i did check that tutorial, but somehow still haven't managed to adapt it to my needs. Not sure if i misunderstood you, but in my case i need to emit particles only on the first frame of the contact between the foot/hoof and the ground, and for the next 4-5 frames when there is a contact i don't need any emission.

I'll go again through your post however, maybe i missed something.

Thanks!