Icecream Cone - Cornetto: Best approach to model this?!

eyadorabi

Hi,

I am looking at this and I like how the topology flows wrapping a grid around (bending ta grid).

I have tried a couple of stuff like using the bend node on a grid, another approach by creating an open arc circle (spiral) with skinning and etc. But I am new to Houdini.

Getting my head around how to go about this.

Would appreciate the help or point of direction.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Noobini said:

here's another using creep. I modded bits here and there from the Creep Spiral example....it looks a bit better at the tip plus you can adjust number of copies in 'copy and transform' node easily..

vu_icecreamcone2.hipnc

Super, I like the logic!

Looking to fold the cone where it wraps around itself.

Amazing thank you!

nice...i was heading in a similar direction..but what I realised during this exercise was...there's currently a lack of the 'conical roll' deformer. Like bend, it is a 'roll' but parallel...we need a bend that is conical like you roll up a piece of paper in real life to create a funnel...c'mon all you math wiz out there....

33 minutes ago, f1480187 said:

cornetto.png.7359e6ed475b3907f07de32b06cbfe45.png

Here is my attempt, with some nice techniques. Not overwhelmingly realistic, assume I've never seen an ice cream.

cornetto.hipnc

I was playing with the poly split tool around the edges. I will have a look at the file later.

Now the trick is to do this somewhat completely procedural. Also agree to the need of a roll deformer to have a proper control.

Nice render!

• 4 months later...

took me 10 mins to setup in Max...(a few secs to sim....like about 10)

(absolutely no reason why the same can't be done in Houdini...but as said before...I got NFI with cloth on Houdini)

Edited by Noobini

• 4 weeks later...