Need some advice about cloudfx

JorbWang

Hi everyone,i'm a new gay about houdini.english is not my first language,and my english skill is not well ,sorry about that.

i want make some realistic clouds.i use the cloud rig shelf tool,but i think it not what i want.

i have a few questions about how to make realistic clouds.

Q1: The shape of clouds.if i want make cloud like a cat,should i use a cat geometry as source?

Q2:the noise about clouds.i try use turbulence noise or curl noise make the cloud have a better look,but i didn't find a good noise to simulate cloud.do you have some good advice about noise?

I usually first build a simple geometry of the shape. Then I add a cloud sop node where you can set density and the shape like structures and finally I add a cloud noise sop which creates a very nice noise. Try to increase the amplitude and play around with element size.

To answer your questions:

• Yes a cat shaped geometry as input should work fine.
  • Do you have an example what you want to archive and why the built in clouds noises do not work for you?

2 hours ago, haggi said:

I usually first build a simple geometry of the shape. Then I add a cloud sop node where you can set density and the shape like structures and finally I add a cloud noise sop which creates a very nice noise. Try to increase the amplitude and play around with element size.

To answer your questions:

• Yes a cat shaped geometry as input should work fine.
  • Do you have an example what you want to archive and why the built in clouds noises do not work for you?

thanks for your time,haggi.

this is i want create cloud shape ,and my cloud file.i want cloud shape have more detail.

this time i use the cloud noise node,but i know the node use turbulence noise,i use turbulence noise and aa noise to simulate the cloud noise,but not have a good look.what noise do you use to simulate could?thanks

3714863749_637873468b_o.jpg

cloud.png

cloud_.hipnc

Edited by JorbWang

A good rule of thumb is to use geometry if you want something to resemble something. For clouds use a cloud sop and you can control the shape and density. Also you can add noise either on the sop level or geo level, depending on what you want to achieve. For geo use mountain node, if not use voinoise or noise, both are great just have different functions. You could also use noise through cops as well. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/7/29 at 5:47 PM, lavitz01 said:

A good rule of thumb is to use geometry if you want something to resemble something. For clouds use a cloud sop and you can control the shape and density. Also you can add noise either on the sop level or geo level, depending on what you want to achieve. For geo use mountain node, if not use voinoise or noise, both are great just have different functions. You could also use noise through cops as well. Hope this helps

thank for your advice