using instancefile with redshift?

Im just getting into redshift and I have been googling around try to figure out if using the instancefile att is possible. I would like to instance files off disk so that I can have control over the frame of the cache that I'm instancing.

I set up this simple test scene so feel free to take a look and point out what I have missed.

Thanks,

Stephen

rs_instance.hip

Thanks for the follow up. Can you explain a bit more how to achieve this using your example file?

I have written your box object to disk $TEMP/box.$F4.bgeo.

Then I go to the out context, under the Archive tab on the Redshift ROP, and enable Export .rs Proxy.

$HIP/filename.$F4.rs

When I render the scene is blank.

Are there any other adjustments I need to make to see this feature work?

Edited by Atom

Hi Atom,

I attached the solve. Unfotunatly .bgeo is not supported when using instancefile. @Sepu fix works as well. The .rs file takes the place of the .bgeo

The key is in the OUT context. In the file attached I have separated out the steps. It seems like redshift has combine the rop for rendering and exporting their (proxy)geometry. So set up one rop to cache out the .rs file/s and another rop to render the image.

I attempted to cache the .rs file with a ROP Output Driver but it did not work. There must be some magic behind the Redshift ROP.

rs_instance_v002.hip

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 2

Valid point.  Just submitted and got accepted an RFE to expose RS Proxy creation on the Geometry ROP.  This will make it alot easier to control whats in the Proxy as well ( right now you have to use Bundles on the Render ROP )

There are several other features ahead of this one (such as Stylesheet support), but at least its on the TODO list.

• Like 1

Thanks for the example files, I got it working. I did find that to see the instances in the viewport I have to use both options, @instance and @instancefile.

Does this mean Redshift is rendering 2 object on top of one another?

Here is what I ended up with inside the Instance node in the final wrangle.

s@instance = "/obj/cache_me_first";
s@instancefile = "$HIP/box.0001.rs";

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Daryl Dunlap said:

Valid point.  Just submitted and got accepted an RFE to expose RS Proxy creation on the Geometry ROP.  This will make it alot easier to control whats in the Proxy as well ( right now you have to use Bundles on the Render ROP )

There are several other features ahead of this one (such as Stylesheet support), but at least its on the TODO list.

Thats great! I need to start postings over at redshift.

@atom I just did a really quick test and it looks like the instancefile attribute takes priority over the instance attribute. So you shouldn't be getting duplicates.

• Like 1