RH Linux 8

TheUsualAlex

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem with Roudini and Redhat8.0. I guess my install went fine. When I execute "houdini", I get the initial logo, then suddenly it dies.

here is the sequence:

<sequence>

cd /usr/hfs5.5

csh

source houdini_setup

cd bin

houdini

</sequence>

I am doing something wrong? if the answer is no, is there any debug level that I can turn on, or a log that I can have a look at? (sorry guys, I am new to Roudini :) )

Thanks

Amine

Stremik, did you try www.redhat.com/mirrors ? At least my local mirror here in Spain has every version from 6.2 up to 8.0

bamine, do you have a 3d accelerated x-server installed? try anything that uses opengl like the xmms opengl visualization plugin, if it runs strangely slow and ugly or doesn't run at all, you got trouble there.

Or maybe (I'm not really sure about this one but should work) try setting the variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1 before launching houdini. By default redhat installs mesa libraries that can run opengl in software mode. This can be very slow so just try it for troubleshooting.

in a bash shell

export HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE=1

in a csh shell

setenv HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE 1

Thanks miguel,

I tried setting the HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1, but it did not work. I do not have xmms paxkage installed.

What I have noticed is that, when I check the processes that are up, after the I tried to start houdini, I see that there is a "hserver" up, but with 0 CPU activity.

SO, if I am understanding it correctly, there is no debug or verbose mode that can help debugging?

Any idea will be appreciated

Amine