Quick Slice

Noobini

when you need to slice your ham quickly...does not rely on Boolean. No need to copy grids onto points, line them up...blah blah blah..it simply slices up your geo no matter the orientation.

(uploaded to Orbolt too but I certainly won't be holding my breath for 'approval'...if you don't wanna wait til Xmas, get the hdanc below)

vu_quick_slice.hdanc

QuickSlice1.jpg

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 2

Here's the Boolean version...why ? cuz you might need to make use of the output groups available with Boolean...like seams, a in b, b in a...etc...etc..naturally, you Allow Editing of Contents and dive into my setup and do whatever you wish with the Boolean.

The slice planes setup was amazingly simple, to my surprise I got it for FREE....ie. if you want X slices of something, then you make X-1 cuts on the INSIDE of the object, it would be silly to cut on the exact outside extremities...which was my mistake in the 'bug' in above post. So the exclusion of the 1st and last cut was done for me for FREE by the polyfill somehow !!!

Slice x 3 (axes)

vu_quickslice_bool.hdanc

Edited by Noobini

Great! I have seen that unfortunately Clip is not compilable, maybe in the future it will be? The Boolean version is almost compilable, except for the Sort node. But that reverse Sort might be done in vex? Btw have you tried to link the Handles in Type Properties? I am no expert, these are just tips.

handles.thumb.png.e750e54a3e44fe0aac59a3005d7a9084.png

I think they are quite easy to use. For me the biggest problem was to find the right type of handle. There are so many types of handles. Then you just type the channels you want to link with the handle (as in my previous post). You may explore my file here. Also I have used Guide geometry in that file. Please take my file just as a small inspiration ... I am really not an expert and this was my first hda. Now I know there are better ways.

linear-falloff-hda.thumb.gif.d66cf407024ee739661424290e1e2a50.thumb.gif.59dd6ec10f2ab09a57697226a9fa2bee.gifguide.PNG.cae29b4dc05637ad11186ee6c87cf0da.PNG

I had it also reverse, when trying inside of your file. Those numbers (handle/channel) are linked and the handle may generate vector, instead of radians or degrees. I unfortunately have no time to experiment now.

there's more and I ain't telling pork pies...(it's far easier to slice in pie mode with the Boolean version...so I probably won't do for the non-Boolean version)

(note: I found that if you leave your geo at Origin, do slice, it works fine...then transform after to whereever you like...but if you transform it first away from Origin, then do slice...it's a bit flaky/crashprone).

vu_quickslice_bool ver 1.03

vu_quickslice_bool.hdanc

quickslice_pie.jpg

Edited by Noobini