Is AMD potentially risky? (Threadripper)

kemijo

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Noobini said:

so with the latest intel security flaw...applying the patch could have a perf. hit of up to 30%....what the !!! (thread title should now include intel :angry:)

I assume we can disable the patch if we prefer full speed over security, or, just run an unpatched OS, if the bug even affects us.... sidefx? 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody out there who is running the x399 with two GPUs and the Ryzen CPU? I'm considering to build a new system, but read on one store's forum that one person didn't have any luck to run the x399 with two 1080 ti. His psu delivers 1200W. Is this only his very personal problem or could this be a more common thing?

Didn't find any videos or image so far with this configuration. Also wonder what kind of gap would be between the GPUs. I guess if there's only a 2mm slit between them a "blower" cooling would be the only solution. What kind of cooling for the GPUs would you recommend? Never owned a card with two or three fans blowing the air just onto the GPU. Always chose the ones which blow out the air out of the back of the case.

Watercooling is not my favourite method...

I have a similar setup that is working fine. I have the Ryzen 1700x with two 1070 running on an AsRock board. I am still using native cooling. The 1080s do require more power but I would think 1200W would be enough. Most modern GPUs vent via the back of the case, not into the case. So the 2mm distance between the two card should not matter that much.

Same boat. X399, Threadripper, Titan Xp + GTX 1080

What are you using GPU's for?

If Redshift, its quite power efficient.

Total power draw on full render with 2 gpus peaks at around 350W.

Considering adding 3rd gpu and expect total power draw to be still under 500w

If on linux there's even a script that will give you ability to automatically ramp gpu fans...

Just read a lot on this topic today, in order to come up with a component list. Would like to go for 2 1080 ti, so the Noctua fan seems to be a bit problematic, since it touches/almost touches the GPU on the first PCI slot. Really don't want to have no gap between the two GPUs, so I guess the Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 seems to be the best option.

Not sure about the RAM yet. I don't plan to oc the CPU, so I'm not sure whether RAM speeds above 2800 will be of any advantage. Since 128GB would be my choice, the speeds above 3200 are quite expensive. Is fast RAM of any advantage then?

Cheers
Tom

P.S.: Which motherboards do you own? The Asus ROG and Gigabyte Gaming 7 seem to not meet the expectations of many users. DOA, memory issues, etc. The ASRock boards seem to get better reviews (at least on Newegg). Not sure how reliable these reviews are....

Took the  Gigabyte one and as you said it's not perfect. Running great but problems with small details. No problem with the card running great in vanilla. But all the tweak softwares suite is buggy as hell and no sign from support.  It's ok from now until a larger problem append in a future...I will avoid this MB. You can use it as Christmas tree too

Thanks for the input. Guess I'm going for the Taichi. 10G LAN seems to be the only loss, apart from the better sound on the bigger board.

Are there any components which shouldn't be included? 1200W should be big enough for this setup... Hopefully...

BTW, does one need those small fans for the RAM???

ScreenShot110.jpg

Edited by Pancho

Are you sure you want to go to watercooling ? Noctua have excellent ventirad who's get similar or better cooling performance than some watercooling system with a minimal noise.  The only down side is the ventirad size. On some motherboard you can loose one pci port because is so huge. Last 3 years i've saw differents configuration trashed by watercooling leak in different studios.

I will avoid this if it's not really needed.  

Well, the tests done between watercooling and the Noctua range (no other fans, only Noctua, :) ) were a bit unfair, since the cooling plate from the watercooler never fit the TR4 size. It was roundish and didn't cover the whole chip area. So watercooling seems to be better if it does fit (test done with the Enermax), BUT actually I never loved the idea of watercooling and DON'T want to use it. But as you've said, there will be problems with the first PCI slot. I definitely want to use two cards in the PCI 16x slots with a distance between them. So it all depends on the motherboard and whether the clearance is there or not. Noctua was my first choice, too. All PCs here are equipped with them. Need to check whether there are any builds with the Noctua and if the GPU will fit. Thanks for your concerns. Identical to mine! : )

Yeah same deal. Any configuration i did in the last 10 years i'm using Noctua. I'm kinda sensitive to noise and they are the perfect Noise/cooling perf ratio. 

With the new x399 one you can offset a little bit the ventirad from the cooling plate, my previous one didn't have this option. With Gigabyte Mb i can use all ports but the space between the CG and the ventirad is something like  1 mm and i'm using the maximum offset position. With the standard ventirad/plate position it was impossible to use the card in the first port, in fact the port was fully covered by ventirad.

Not sure if it's a good idea to mount the fan like he did in the video. In a single fan ventirad model i'm pretty sure it's better to use it to extract the air outside. (need to double check)

I don't think you need to cool your RAM if you have a good case with fan on the top.

I'm running non overclocked for now. In a full long heavy charge with multithreaded CPU and CG, the temp prob i put near the memory never go higher than  45°. So i don't think it's a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Noctua should do fine, especially if you're not overclocking.

We recently put together a Threadripper build at work using the 360 version of the Enermax. The chip is overclocked to 4GHz and under load it stays below 60C. That's pretty nice and quite a bit better than what the Corsair H115i in my system can do, it seems like the full-size cold plate makes a notable difference. Unfortunately the quality of the Enermax fans isn't so great as one of them is already making funny noises. They will probably have to get replaced with Noctua fans.