Is AMD potentially risky? (Threadripper)

kemijo

@einhander , If you're on the Renderman forums, there is a thread with comments regarding Threadripper and a suggestion that it may be slower with the vectorized OSL once Renderman 22 is released. That said the comments aren't necessarily relevant to the current 21 release...but perhaps it is related. Threadripper's performance in Renderman is a partial deal maker (or breaker) for me.

Here's the thread, look for the posts by plp (Phillippe):

https://renderman.pixar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35685&highlight=threadripper

8 minutes ago, kemijo said:

Here's the thread, look for the posts by plp (Phillippe):

plp answer's are vague, non-committal and doesn't use any metrics, best to just wait until someone does real-world tests.

1 hour ago, marty said:

plp answer's are vague, non-committal and doesn't use any metrics, best to just wait until someone does real-world tests.

Fair enough. I've started a thread over on the Renderman forums asking for actual data, hopefully someone will chime in. Money burning a hole in my pocket!

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:51 AM, marty said:

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

Hi, didn't get to it but i'm pretty certain it's a short matter of time before we see support for both of them... 

17 hours ago, VFXArabia said:

@Diorn It's amazing to see double the performance with OCL enabled.

I think i ran most tests 2 times but yeah, OCL on GPU seems to improve Grain results immensly, a good question would be how much gpu RAM is neccessary for your average type grain sim situation.  If you wish to make another type of grain Sim i can run it...

PS: On this particular station i am running 4x GTX 1080, but is OCL using all cards or only one? @marty any info about this?

Judging by ram usage during the sim, it is just 1 card... the ram usage went up 30% during this sim, so that would be aprox 2.4 gb V-ram for 700k points

Edited by Diorn

On 9/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, marty said:

Hey Marty, CPU OpenCL does work on TR, it just wasn't as fast as the GPU. Unless you mean it's a suboptimal implementation.

6 hours ago, Diorn said:

PS: On this particular station i am running 4x GTX 1080, but is OCL using all cards or only one? @marty any info about this?

Judging by ram usage during the sim, it is just 1 card... the ram usage went up 30% during this sim, so that would be aprox 2.4 gb V-ram for 700k points

It will use only one card. If you have something like GPU-Z installed you can choose which card to monitor, and during OpenCL only one of mine was under load.

Cool thanks. Yeah I reread the tests and the suboptimal results were been auto-translated in my brain to not working :) At a wild guess it's numa at fault here and if the TR was turned back into the 2 1800x chips it is then it would perform much better at opencl CPU. Game-mode would confirm this IMO. Looking foward the new i9 7980x should be pretty cool... once OpenCL is working on it too.

opencl gpu does only use one device but if you can distribute the sim into the different domains you can launch 4 hbatch sessions. Speed usually isn't meant to increase but you can run bigger sims by accessing more memory ie each card's vram.

@DaJuice @Diorn and anyone else with OpenCL CPU issues, can you please send in the test results and hardware specs to SideFX. Thanks! That is one of the best ways for them to work with upstream vendors to get this stuff all working, quicker.  You can log bugs from the Support menu on their home page.

Edited by tar

18 hours ago, marty said:

opencl gpu does only use one device but if you can distribute the sim into the different domains you can launch 4 hbatch sessions. Speed usually isn't meant to increase but you can run bigger sims by accessing more memory ie each card's vram.

@DaJuice @Diorn and anyone else with OpenCL CPU issues, can you please send in the test results and hardware specs to SideFX. Thanks! That is one of the best ways for them to work with upstream vendors to get this stuff all working, quicker.  You can log bugs from the Support menu on their home page.

Speed performance seems totally reasonable with OCL and if i can bypass the RAM capacity with your suggestion that's a sure win! I'm eager to try out a cloth grain based sim knowing this now... And I wonder if I can apply the same process for a larger Pyro sim with OCL...

I'll make sure to send the results to SideFX, Thanks Marty

Edited by Diorn

On 9/23/2017 at 8:51 PM, marty said:

Mine worked straight out of box on Ubuntu 17.04, well kubuntu tbh, with CPU flag, so I ak guessing this is OS related

3 hours ago, tricecold said:

Mine worked straight out of box on Ubuntu 17.04, well kubuntu tbh, with CPU flag, so I ak guessing this is OS related

Super cool. That's very hopeful as I'm running Ununtu too with Ryzen 1700 and opencl CPU works very very well there.

Just want to see some test results, like in this thread, that shows how much better it is as the only metrics we have is that it's quit a bit slower so far. 

thanks heaps!

Edited by tar

• 4 weeks later...

Please correct me if I'm wrong (there's a lot of great info in this thread, but after a while I was finding it a bit difficult to keep track of the results), but compared to each other, the TR 1950x really excels in some areas (such as Pyro and Mantra), but falls a bit flat in others, whereas the i9 1900x perhaps just OK across the board. Also, both CPUs have issues that could cause problems with long sims and renders (temps on the i9, NUMA and Performance Boost weirdness on the TR). Am I correct with this understanding?

Has anyone here tried the TR 1920x yet? I was looking at some articles from Puget Systems (I'll link them below) and it seems to perform close to (sometimes on par with) the i9 1900x. So I was thinking It might potentially be an alternative for the 7900x that could save us a few bucks ($200 here in Aus).

Also speaking of Puget Systems, I sent them a request for some Houdini tests. I don't know if they'll actually do it, but it can't hurt to pop them an email asking for it if you want to see it (after all, the more that ask the higher our chances).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/V-Ray-CPU-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1043/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Cinema-4D-CPU-Rendering-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1038/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Arnold-for-Maya-CPU-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1045/#Conclusion

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 1:45 AM, DeeLan said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (there's a lot of great info in this thread, but after a while I was finding it a bit difficult to keep track of the results), but compared to each other, the TR 1950x really excels in some areas (such as Pyro and Mantra), but falls a bit flat in others, whereas the i9 1900x perhaps just OK across the board. Also, both CPUs have issues that could cause problems with long sims and renders (temps on the i9, NUMA and Performance Boost weirdness on the TR). Am I correct with this understanding?

Has anyone here tried the TR 1920x yet? I was looking at some articles from Puget Systems (I'll link them below) and it seems to perform close to (sometimes on par with) the i9 1900x. So I was thinking It might potentially be an alternative for the 7900x that could save us a few bucks ($200 here in Aus).

Also speaking of Puget Systems, I sent them a request for some Houdini tests. I don't know if they'll actually do it, but it can't hurt to pop them an email asking for it if you want to see it (after all, the more that ask the higher our chances).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/V-Ray-CPU-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1043/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Cinema-4D-CPU-Rendering-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1038/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Arnold-for-Maya-CPU-Comparison-New-14-16-and-18-core-Skylake-X-Processors-1045/#Conclusion

Ditto, read through the entire thread but still not 100% sure about the findings. Can anyone summarize the pros cons of TR for Houdini sim, rendering as compared with i9 7900? And any Houdini benchmarks yet for the i9 7980x?

Edited by art3mis

57 minutes ago, art3mis said:

Ditto, read through the entire thread but still not 100% sure about the findings. Can anyone summarize the pros cons of TR for Houdini sim, rendering as compared with i9 7900? And any Houdini benchmarks yet for the i9 7980x?

Hi, well there is no black and white answer, this is my personal conclusion from the benchmarks we did so far. Both are a good choice and will do a fine job. if you do cpu rendering and a lot of sim work, especially pyro, then go for the TR for a bit of a trade off to sop work and sigle thread ops, the reverse is true for 7900x, being a a bit slower in some types of sims but faster in sop operations and almost head to head in grains and flip wih tr, the diferences are about 25% either way for sops vs pyro, but for cpu rendering TR is the winner by far. Plase take into consideration the overclocking aspect as the final conclusion is based on the highest clock speeds for both cpus. Also please take note of the motherboard you are choosing as it will and may impact performance, overclock scores or future ram upgrade capacity. Ram speed has also impacted scores, get at least 3000mhz ram.

ps- for comp work you will also find that software is mostly singlethreaded, though you can try to juggle deadline software to better acces all the threads available on a multi core cpu.

Edited by Diorn

Thing to consider. Here in Europe, 1950x just get 20% price drop. It's 799,90€ instead of 999.

Dont know if it's a discount for the Black Friday stuff only or something who's gonna stay.

I'm looking threads and benchmark about TR and I9 since 1 month. Still can't say the one is the best as results are differents from the task.

With this price drop TR looks like the perfect deal for freelancer.

Always in the blue team since almost 20 years..I'm think i'm gonna switch now for the next 5 years.

If you see anything who's bugging you in this setup please tell me...i'm gonna push this order button soon. :-) 

Rest in peace my good old overcloked i2600k.

TR.jpg

Edited by Spyrogif

Performance comes at a cost! And not talking just dollars.

Anyone else examine the power requirements of these guys?

Even at idle the TR is pulling around 100W, and on peak load both are drawing in the 200-250W range.

Go ahead and OC the 7980xe to 4.3ghz and you're going to see almost 500W...thats INSANE!

If AMD  or Intel were to come out with 'power efficient' versions of these that were maybe 90% as powerful, but only required half the power...that is something I would throw my $ at!

Honestly, I couldn't been happier with my TR choice. It was obviously a huge leap from 2600K which is a glorified file server and render manager now. But with my TR I can render and do comp at the same time whooaaat.  It's not the fastest CPU out there but for it's price range it's the damn best IMHO. For an fx td

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, tricecold said:

Honestly, I couldn't been happier with my TR choice. It was obviously a huge leap from 2600K which is a glorified file server and render manager now. But with my TR I can render and do comp at the same time whooaaat.  It's not the fastest CPU out there but for it's price range it's the damn best IMHO. For an fx td

Could it be possible to use the computer while  rendering with a ryzen 1700? 

Being able to use the computer while rendering would be just amazing