Redshift: .rs proxy of lights?

What are the benefits/applications to creating an .rs proxy of a light?

I only ask because I did not realize I was creating an .rs proxy of my object and the light in my scene when I created my archive. I realize now that I just have to check on the "export only selected objects" and it will exclude the light. It would have saved me a few hours of digging if that was checked on by default. Thoughts?

This is just an opinion and not necessarily the way that the Redshift devs would describe the RS proxy.

I believe they were originally created as an alternative to Model's in Softimage (for the first couple of years Redshift was only available for Softimage), which are a powerful proxy/container item that can effectively contain a whole scene as a proxy item.

http://docs.autodesk.com/SI/2015/ENU/#!/url=./files/models_WhatAreModels.htm

RS Proxies are really powerful and can even be used for asset transfer between different DCC hosts (as long as you understand the inherent limitations of cross DCC workflows).

Redshift docs - RS Proxies

Hope this provides a little more clarity.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

It was not super clear in the redshift houdini docs that I was able to archive all the things in a RS proxy. It only mentioned  " The Redshift ROP nod has - The tools to export objects or scenes as Redshift Proxy files."

Agreed, the docs aren't in the best state of affairs at the moment. The Houdini specific docs that Juanjo maintains (the dev responsible for the Houdini integration) are great but the core RS docs are in the middle of an update (should be going live in the near future) and the devs have promised that these new docs will be more detailed and updated on a regular basis.