Flip Sim Randomly Stops Caching

evanrudefx

When I am working with FLIP I never save .sim files.

The best work flow suggest to me was to save out the compressed cache first as .bgeo.sc. Then save out the surface cache second. So it is a two step process. The fluidimport node is where you will find these two surfacing support nodes. The FileCache are put in place by the shelf tools so if you used those for your initial setup then they should already be in place. The reason you want to save out the compressed cache first is so you can have a bit more interactivity when dialing in the surface characteristic on fluid surface node. If you don't have a compressed cache you will find that every time you move to a new frame, you will have to sim again. Also whitewater references the compressed cache node for it's surface so once you have that cache written to disk bothe fluid surface and white water will respond much quicker. Also it allows you to sim at a little higher resolution because you don't have to hold both caches in memory at once.

Edited by Atom

The reason I save my .sim files is because it seems to use more memory when caching the compressed fluid. It would crash (run out of memory) then I would have to start over. My workflow is I save my .sim then save compressed cache then save my surface cache. If it does crash when saving my compressed cache its ok because my sim is saved and I can start at any frame.

Edited by ejr32123

I recently started adding a single float channel to my FLIPObject. Then I place this expression in the field. It takes into account the size of the fluid box and the particle separation to produce a number that is the approximate voxel count for the fluid area you have defined.

ch("../flipsolver1/limit_sizex")/ch("particlesep")*ch("../flipsolver1/limit_sizey")/ch("particlesep")*ch("../flipsolver1/limit_sizez")/ch("particlesep")

This will generate a number in scientific notation. Basically +6 at the end mean a million voxels, +7 means 10 million voxels and +8 means 100 million voxels. If you are in the +8 range or higher your computer may not have enough memory for your simulation, so try a higher value for particle separation to lower voxel count.

Can you place your system specs in your signature?

Also, you must leave OpenCL checkbox off to do any hi-resolution work in pyro or flip.

flip_voxel_estimate.gif

flip_voxel_estimator.hiplc

Edited by Atom

I am actually using my school's computer atm. It has 64 gigs of ram, gtx 980 ti, and a  intel xeon (can't remember which model atm). While I am caching this sim around 35% of the ram is free. I can finish caching the sim, I just have to keep re-starting the cache when it stops. Also I should mention running out of ram while saving the compressed cache didn't happen to me for this particular sim, just in the past. To be safe, I usually save .sim first.

Are you saving to a network drive? Some networks can't save a single disk file larger than 2GB.

Try setting your particle separation really high to see if you can make it through the frame range you require. Then, using the voxel estimator, dial in a lower particle separation until you find the breaking point. You may have noticed in the GIF image I posted that the difference between 0.025 and 0.1 it 100,000,000. So the particle separation value is EXTREMELY sensitive.

Edited by Atom

Are any of your files larger than 2GB? A company where I worked at we had the same exact problem. Old school networks may still have that 2GB limit.

You may want to simply invest in a 128GB USB 3.0 local drive, or larger, and try writing your sim file to that.

Report the network problem to your school's IT department. They may have a solution.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1