Hi,

I guess thats a pretty easy question but I couldn't figure it out yet. So I have an obj import that consists out of a big amount of pieces. Importing it to other apps brings in the materials too. So I just can work on those materials insteat of reselecting everything. Importing that obj to Houdini doesn't show any materials. Why is that? 

Houdini OBJ importer actually supports materials assignment, it just doesn't import / create them based on mtl files  - you can spot a  primitive attribute shop_materialpath pointing to something like /shop/Material_name (as found in obj file). Importer doesn't touch mtl file though, so materials have to be created manually. Note also that materials assignment inside OBJ file itself is based on primitive groups, which also end up in Houdini, so you can assign new materials based on those groups rather than rely on per primitive attribute.

If you have a choice you could try FBX, which supports basic materials. You could also look around as there were a couple of MTL parsers for Houdini around. It's a trivial task if you know a little Python. Unfortunately Houdini is hardly used in a scenarios where obj files with mtl becomes handy. Also most Houdini materials seriously overcomes MTL specification. 

I wish Houdini's OBJ + MTL support was as good as Keyshot... truly comfortable import workflow... and surely will pay of in the current world we live where we buy lots of asset from Turbosquid and the likes.

ATM I have to use the "@shop_materialpath==..." eypression which is handier than selecting every object but I still have to write out lots of material names and then create them manually. No idea of python ;)

Anyway, I can do it like this. But another problem: I can't merge all resulting material node together for rendering. This is causing shading errors. I can display one material at a time and render the whole thing with proper material assignment on one set of primitives. As soon as I try to merge two material nodes together…shading issues.

I need to blast the primitives depending on their group. So how can I blast them based on this selection expression? @shop_materialpath=="/shop/Cruiseship_cleanup_v003_rpr:Glas_Grey_DisplaySG"

Edited by Heraklit