Sign in to follow this  
bifrost

Custom Vortex Field - FLIP Whirlpool

bifrost    7

Hey Houdini Gurus! I am trying to do some RnD on creating a massive whirlpool using flip fluids. Although I am aware of how to create custom forces in Houdini, I am pretty much clueless on how to create a tangential vortex force in order to achieve this effect. In my head, here is how I think I would do it. Correct me if I am wrong.

- Create a geometry where whirlpool would swirl on including the middle whole.

- Create custom tangential vectors on that geometry with some noise patterns on it to break the uniformity.

- Plug the field into the flip.

Can anyone help me with this? What would be the maths behind it? I searched here and people have done it using Houdini Ocean Toolkit before but that's not the approach I am looking for. I want to achieve it in flip.

Something like this

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

-b

Edited by bifrost

bifrost    7
56 minutes ago, Atom said:

There are quite a few examples floating around. Try searching on Vortex, Tornado or Whirlpool. A few are already located if you visit the links page in my signature.

ap_whirlpool_pattern.hipnc

Thanks a lot Atom! That's a great link page you have there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any custom vortex field example in there. There are a couple of tornado ones but their approach is very different that what I want.

Also, your file looks great. I will look into it. :)

-b