FLIP Stick on Mesh

ParticleSkull

Hey guys, 

What is the best way to make FLIP reaaally stick to an object? Right now I'm using only the "Stick on Collision" option but it doesn't work as I expected. I've crancked up the normal value to make it move more drastically but It's getting unstalble.

hdvcXC8.jpg

I guess this setup from Dave Stewart works better than the Stick on Collision only (i guess he's using both). It doens't stick like mud the the object but I'd like to know how it works as well, he says:

"Grabbed the Pressure field values (Gas Field to Particle) and ran them through a POP VOP, also using the surface distance to reinforce the outer shell of the toy."

how can I use the Gas Field to Particle? I know what it does but i have no idea on how to connect it with the object and trasnfer this velocities using a VOP POP.

Well, any tips are welcome ;)

Thank's
-
Alvaro

Edited by ParticleSkull

I was playing around with this today. I am getting ok results out of enabling Stick On collision. I did increase the viscosity to 120 (on the FLIP Object Physical TAB) and tweak a few other parameters based on suggestions from the tooltips for those parameters. I have not found the true thickener parameter yet.

flip_stick.gif

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

having a go with a simple scene - i dont have the slip scale from what i can see but got most of the other things - i've got two balls dropping in a flip tank - seems to work fairly well.  I've had to play with viscosity on the water, and then the friction on the flip and the ball i think is helping a little.  The water still seems quite thin so the viscosity may need to be amped up.  i dont know if the simulation speed outside the dop would help either ?

edit - playing with the flip solvers force scale seems to make the particles stick to the geo a bit more whilst still retaining the speed when they fall off the mesh..

can you imagine if someone did a big wiki with a ton of gifs showing this stuff and its various settings..

...its gonna end up being me isn't it...

Edited by anthonymcgrath
  • Haha 1

Hey Ant, by default viscous fluid tend to stick a lot, the Slip Scale just helps it to not stick ;)

Good to know about the force scale and, yeaaah, this wiki would be freaking awesome. The most dificult part, at least for me, would be the website itself. Do you have any idea on where we could do it, something simple like a blog but good?

7 hours ago, ParticleSkull said:

Hey Ant, by default viscous fluid tend to stick a lot, the Slip Scale just helps it to not stick ;)

Good to know about the force scale and, yeaaah, this wiki would be freaking awesome. The most dificult part, at least for me, would be the website itself. Do you have any idea on where we could do it, something simple like a blog but good?

Umm.. wix & a simple blogspot page come to mind.  Anywhere where you can basically upload gifs to show the results might help.

In fact this could be done for a bundle of fx in hou actually.. different rbd results and fem settings.. Matt has that sorta thing goin on with his page it's likely we can use the same sort of page potentially.

Was twiddling a bit more today.. couldn't get flip sim to follow an animated mesh.. basically I was turning an alembic into a group of points from volume.. then trying to get that to drive flip point movement in dops. Couldn't get it to work.. was hoping to make it animated and then pass a sop solver in dops over it to lower viscosity so it drops away. Similar to Ben watts melting angel tutorial but with animated mesh.  Kinda tough to do.

Edited by anthonymcgrath

actually if you want to stick more increase the tangent scale... if you want to slide more along object put tangent low and normal high. you could also maybe create a custom force based on the surface vdb gradient but it would have similar results I think