Hey everyone, I really fell in love with some of the visuals created by Chaotic Atmospheres, link : http://chaoticatmospheres.com/flowing-city-map.

They describe their process as a mix of displacement maps created in world machine all composited in PS, but I want to create and simulate this with velocity flows and possibly particles to create a more dynamic map for some of my architectural site plans. I've looked through and gathered different techniques for creating vector fields and I am a little stuck. I've used some of the techniques with manuplating vector fields with curves, creating a volume and driving trails, but the collision and erosion just hasn't produced the effect I want quite yet.

With a few drawn curves on the grid, I can get a nice flow, but upon adding any more complex nurb systems, it just starts to group too many vectors. 

I might be going about all this wrong, but wanted to see if anyone could offer some more help or a more efficient technique. The end goal would be for the vectors to be able to be animated to visualize flow from the city boundaries outwards towards the edges.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice/tips/help on this endeavor.

erosion_flow.thumb.jpg.ecb2cf738fb2057ae9e8f8cd37ac6b6c.jpg

Drawn_Curves.thumb.PNG.d3983bcd0c3ac4c38502d5c4b41910df.PNGMap_Curves.thumb.PNG.425c17cc7af2e65a299da0feb07ca1eb.PNG

Edited by acheu

• 1 year later...
On 9/18/2017 at 1:10 AM, acheu said:

Hey everyone, I really fell in love with some of the visuals created by Chaotic Atmospheres, link : http://chaoticatmospheres.com/flowing-city-map.

They describe their process as a mix of displacement maps created in world machine all composited in PS, but I want to create and simulate this with velocity flows and possibly particles to create a more dynamic map for some of my architectural site plans. I've looked through and gathered different techniques for creating vector fields and I am a little stuck. I've used some of the techniques with manuplating vector fields with curves, creating a volume and driving trails, but the collision and erosion just hasn't produced the effect I want quite yet.

With a few drawn curves on the grid, I can get a nice flow, but upon adding any more complex nurb systems, it just starts to group too many vectors. 

I might be going about all this wrong, but wanted to see if anyone could offer some more help or a more efficient technique. The end goal would be for the vectors to be able to be animated to visualize flow from the city boundaries outwards towards the edges.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice/tips/help on this endeavor.

erosion_flow.thumb.jpg.ecb2cf738fb2057ae9e8f8cd37ac6b6c.jpg

Drawn_Curves.thumb.PNG.d3983bcd0c3ac4c38502d5c4b41910df.PNGMap_Curves.thumb.PNG.425c17cc7af2e65a299da0feb07ca1eb.PNG

Hi Andrew - have you figured out how to get this to work? I'm currently trying to figure it out. Any help would be very usefull