/mat context node clutter

Hi there,

I'm using Arnold and Redshift as thrid-party render engines in Houdini. The new /mat context is very nice with one big exception - third party renderer nodes are all displayed along with the Mantra nodes in the /mat context.

An example would be the Multiply node. I have one from Mantra, one from Redshift and one from Arnold when I hit the TAB key in the /mat context. And no way to differentiate between them before placing. 

Now my question:

* How are you handling this situation?

* Is there some way to filter? (I know that I can just drop a Material Builder and inside it, it's all filtered for Mantra. But then I can't drag noise nodes to the viewport for example and it's generally a bit of a workaround IMHO)

P.S.: I know that Redshift and Arnold don't support the /mat context yet fully. This is about shading with Mantra from the /mat context.

Many Thnaks,

Daniel

Redshift support the MAT context completely now, usually redshift materials and textures they have a prefix RS so if you start typing RS when you press the tab you will see all of the redshift materials, etc. The only one that doesnt have a prefix is the "wireframe" which Im sure is just a mistake. Not sure about Arnold.

4 hours ago, Sepu said:

Redshift support the MAT context completely now, usually redshift materials and textures they have a prefix RS so if you start typing RS when you press the tab you will see all of the redshift materials, etc. The only one that doesnt have a prefix is the "wireframe" which Im sure is just a mistake. Not sure about Arnold.

It supports it - but I would call it "fully". You still have to wrap the shader into a "RS Material Builder". The prototyping aspect of the new /mat context is lost for me because of that. Actually I wonder what the difference is to using a material in shop context tbh.  

Regarding the RS prefixes: True. In Arnold it's sadly not prefixed.

P.S.: In Mantra, if you change a material property of a material this is reflected in IPR - even if the material is set through a material stylesheet. For Redshift it's not (when using material stylesheets). No big deal, but again not quite "fully" integrated.

you dont have to put it inside RS_material_builder at all, the option is there if you want to do that. Just like the "material_builder". I do not use the RS_material_Builder almost never now that Im in Mat context. You can do everything that you want in the Mat context without the builder.

Edited by Sepu

18 minutes ago, Sepu said:

you dont have to put it inside RS_material_builder at all, the option is there if you want to do that. Just like the "material_builder". I do not use the RS_material_Builder almost never now that Im in Mat context. You can do everything that you want in the Mat context without the builder.

I must be doing something wrong. If i create a RS_Material in the /mat context and set the material in a Material SOP in the Geo, the material is not rendered. If I put the RS_Material into a shop context, it works. I'm on Redshift 2.5.30 and Houdini 16.0.705.

Edited by RayFoundry