noob confusion about render elements

keddefar

Hi there

Currently learning Houdini so raising the noob flag :)
Trying to grasp how to get render elements like zdepth, reflection, specular out of the mantra render engine for use in AfterEffects.
Im currently doing my renders via the IPR window ( Render view tab ), and I can see my elements below the C on the rollout menu.

But I cannot figure out how to save them, if I rightclick the render view window and choose save Frame, its only saving the beautypass, even when i switch the rollout to lets say Pz, still only the beautypass...

br
Chr

have you tried to save to exr or some other format that can contain custom channels? anyway you can render to disk - that way everything is saved into a disk file automatically. or you can render to mplay and then choose file>save frame and save it to exr.

also tried rendering to mplay, via the button in lowerleft corner - but it consistently renders in half resolution and I havent figured out HOW to make it render fullres... furthermore in my 3dsmax vray I have the option to save out the elements as a seperate file, not that its crucial - I just like it that way, so if anyone knows if its possible let me know :)

Edited by keddefar

Christian, I think that you want AOVs? Here is nice and short tutorial. (Quote: Houdini 13 - AOVs in Mantra In this lesson Andrew Lowell (Lead FX TD Instructor) is going to show you how to set up and export AOV's in Mantra. )

Here is how to store image planes to separate files:

Edited by ikoon

Ah found out that the mplay button had options under it if I made a hold-press, and then I could render fullres. Also figured out the workflow for multichannel exr's, with ae's builtin extraction effects, at least for doing post DOF it works fine so far. Funny though I couldnt find a reflection element AOV option ( at least not in the checkmark section ), just puzzled me since I use that all the time with vray.