Procedural Caves WIP

Vexosaur

Working on a procedural cave generator using input curves for the base shape and cellular automata. The goal is for them to be game engine ready with textures, what do you think? 

gif_01.gif

test_01.jpeg

test_02.jpeg

Edited by Aragatory
  • Like 8

Cool stuff!

The biggest challenge are fail cases. Extrude spikes, bad booleans and other degenerate outputs which will break the generator or yield dangerous results that will break the game. It may be hard to create robust generator.

I also found that generator complexity may increase exponentially from adding new features to it.

Edited by f1480187

18 hours ago, f1480187 said:

Cool stuff!

The biggest challenge are fail cases. Extrude spikes, bad booleans and other degenerate outputs which will break the generator or yield dangerous results that will break the game. It may be hard to create robust generator.

I also found that generator complexity may increase exponentially from adding new features to it.

Thanks!

I've tried to stay away from methods with relatively high failure rates, so no booleans and only one extrude for the wall mesh. The stalagmites/stalactites are all instanced, so little chance of them breaking (aside from awkward placement). But yeah added complexity might change all this.

Edited by Aragatory

• 8 months later...

This is a fun one to play around with.

I am definitely getting some UV stretching where the floor meets the walls. That would be right at player eye level too.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.d4655a0649360b2a69c931cd51a49269.jpg

I am not a big fan of polyreduce, it seems to mess things up more than fix them. But maybe polyreduce then run it through InstantMeshes to restore the quad topology might be worth trying out.

Edited by Atom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This is really cool stuff. I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you went about creating UVs for this cave system? I'm doing something similar, basically carving out "tunnels" with 3d noise in a fog vdb and then converting to polygons. How the heck would one generate nice UVs for this? Is it even really possible without extensive manual work? I remember reading a paper/article by Ari Danesh a while ago about a procedurally generated landscape with overhangs and tunnels used for a game in Unreal engine that apparently used a procedural UV system. Can't find it any more but I seem to remember he glossed over the procedural UV part anyway...

UVing a procedurally generated complex 3d "swiss cheese" mesh can't be a trivial problem to solve so I'm being realistic in my expectations. But your results look pretty good! Any info or tips gratefully received!

On 13/07/2019 at 8:21 AM, vr_voxel said:

This is really cool stuff. I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you went about creating UVs for this cave system? I'm doing something similar, basically carving out "tunnels" with 3d noise in a fog vdb and then converting to polygons. How the heck would one generate nice UVs for this? Is it even really possible without extensive manual work? I remember reading a paper/article by Ari Danesh a while ago about a procedurally generated landscape with overhangs and tunnels used for a game in Unreal engine that apparently used a procedural UV system. Can't find it any more but I seem to remember he glossed over the procedural UV part anyway...

UVing a procedurally generated complex 3d "swiss cheese" mesh can't be a trivial problem to solve so I'm being realistic in my expectations. But your results look pretty good! Any info or tips gratefully received!

Thanks.  I was able to make nice clean UVs for this because the mesh is actually very uniform.  The ground/ceiling is just mapped to a grid based on its position, and the wall the all the strips of mesh that have the same amount of polys vertically.  

For your problem, the best solution I can think of off the top of my head would be group polys based on facing angle/curvature and then breaking those up into more uniform pieces maybe.  You might need to look into generating procedural textures to help with seams since you are probably never going to get really clean UVs. 

• 2 weeks later...