Aragatory

Procedural Caves WIP

Working on a procedural cave generator using input curves for the base shape and cellular automata. The goal is for them to be game engine ready with textures, what do you think? 

gif_01.gif

test_01.jpeg

test_02.jpeg

Edited by Aragatory
  • Like 3

Cool stuff!

The biggest challenge are fail cases. Extrude spikes, bad booleans and other degenerate outputs which will break the generator or yield dangerous results that will break the game. It may be hard to create robust generator.

I also found that generator complexity may increase exponentially from adding new features to it.

Edited by f1480187

18 hours ago, f1480187 said:

Cool stuff!

The biggest challenge are fail cases. Extrude spikes, bad booleans and other degenerate outputs which will break the generator or yield dangerous results that will break the game. It may be hard to create robust generator.

I also found that generator complexity may increase exponentially from adding new features to it.

Thanks!

I've tried to stay away from methods with relatively high failure rates, so no booleans and only one extrude for the wall mesh. The stalagmites/stalactites are all instanced, so little chance of them breaking (aside from awkward placement). But yeah added complexity might change all this.

Edited by Aragatory

very nice :) always good to see more game oriented stuff!

makes me considering revisiting some of my old projects ^^

• Like 1