Procedural City

Andz

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this project i've seen the power of digital assets!

I'm making a few building DA's, the first of which is below. the idea is that you can randomise the number of levels, the base width (i.e. number of sections) as well as the seed for the roof item (another DA with 3 or 4 different roof decorations) and the seed for the window/lights texture layout (so repeating textures, and different buildings, look random). theres a few things screwy in the pics below particularly the random seeding expressions but i thought id post anyway.

the renders are very rough, they were done at the end of a loooong session :)

cheers!

mark

post-537-1126487745_thumb.jpg

post-537-1126487760_thumb.jpg

With this project i've seen the power of digital assets! 

I'm making a few building DA's, the first of which is below.  the idea is that you can randomise the number of levels, the base width (i.e. number of sections) as well as the seed for the roof item (another DA with 3 or 4 different roof decorations) and the seed for the window/lights texture layout (so repeating textures, and different buildings, look random).  theres a few things screwy in the pics below particularly the random seeding expressions but i thought id post anyway. 

the renders are very rough, they were done at the end of a loooong session :)

cheers!

mark

21202[/snapback]

Yeah that was what I had in mind ... DA for chairs... I'm still far from it but that's what I was pointing with my "chair" scene :)

I'll keep this thread posted.

cheers.

a w e s o m e

thanks a lot for sharing that (and sorry for asking twice.. i noticed later tha i've been too "kiddie" about that..)

this is like a gift for me.. for the night spent making my first real shader in VOP.. and your metal has and will be also my inspiration for learning more and more.

oh .. I made my first shader :D

thanks again for the awesome hip.

cheers

I was just talking with Stu about this and here's the idea.

How about one of you crazy programmers out there create a generic DSO so you can get some savings for rendering this stuff. If you allowed it to use a specific piece of geometry (.bgeo) it could place it to a point with a certain attribute... It could be very basic...If we keep the operations generalized I'm sure a lot of people out there could get some use from it.

thoughts?

-k

How about one of you crazy programmers out there create a generic DSO so

Hey there,

Have you tried the HScriptInstance DSO? Perhaps it does some of what you're talking about. It's not the most efficient way of generating the geometry definitions in Mantra but it sure is fun.

Also, we often use this type of script at DD when mailing hipfiles to SESI for debugging. We also use this for archiving certain scenes. I noticed that you distributed a seperate OTL file with your example Stu - which sometimes I find awkward because if you manually load the OTL with File>Instal Operator Type Library, the second you attempt to load a hipfile it will forget about your loaded OTLs.

What this script does is copy any custom OTLs into the hipfile ("Embedding"), making distributing the hipfile totally self-contained.

# embedOTLs.cmd  : embed all custom OTLs into the hipfile
#

echo "embedding all the OTLs referenced in this scene"

set ots = `execute("otinuse -t")`

foreach ot ($ots)
  set original_otl = `execute("otgetotl $ot")`
  if( "$original_otl" != "Embedded" )
    if( `strmatch("${HFS}*","$original_otl")` == 1 )
      echo " not embedding $ot because it's in the houdini distribution."
    else
      echo " ($ot) copying operator type into the Embedded section from $original_otl."
      otcopy $ot Embedded
      otprefer $ot Embedded
    endif
  else
    echo " ($ot) this operator type is already Embedded."
  endif
end