Procedural City

Andz

Isn't it true to say that unless you turn off the option in Operator type manager then the otl will be embedded in the hip file anyway?

21254[/snapback]

Ah - right - I've kinda forgotten that here at DD we turn the option off globally. This was because we had some large OTLs (like 12mb) and did not want to save those in every hipfile.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of our stuff is off in some cold room somewhere on big jugillion million TB servers (one of which is down right now - yay no work)....and we use a version control system for everything so we don't need hip files at all really...it's quite nice to no have to worry about some things :)

but an RFE might be a good idea....have a flag on the Type Properties that says Embed This OTL

...says Embed This OTL

21273[/snapback]

Yeah - what's a little odd is that if you "Allow editing of Contents", the HDA is NOT embedded and the modified network is useless without the presence of the OTL. So unlocking an HDA, messing with it and then if the original OTL changes your manual changes will get messed up.

I've RFE'd that the HDA gets embedded the instant you Allow Editing and un-embedded upon Match Definition.

I've RFE'd that the HDA gets embedded the instant you Allow Editing and un-embedded upon Match Definition.

hmm...as an option I would agree...but not as a default behaviour since, we at least, rely on the updateableness (?) of otls within otls within otls...etc...and as I've said we don't pass hip files around at all (except in very rare special cases).

it's a pretty complicated issue though....worth more thought and ideas...

hmm...as an option I would agree...but not as a default behaviour since, we at least, rely on the updateableness (?) of otls within otls within otls...etc...and as I've said we don't pass hip files around at all (except in very rare special cases).

it's a pretty complicated issue though....worth more thought and ideas...

21280[/snapback]

Would this as default behaviour effect workflow like ours, though? Since we essentially throw the hip file out and publish a new OTL, I mean. It shouldn't matter if the HDA is embedded or sitiing on a server somewhere. If you unsynch an OTL, any OTL's within should remain synched and should not be embedded (unless, I guess those HDA's are contained in the same OTL you are cracking open). I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where auto embedding unsynched OTLs would be a problem. It actually sounds like it should be the default behaviour. The only downside I can see is that you could end up with some huge hip files, if your pipeline is based on hip files. I mean it's possible to have any number of HDA's in an OTL, so say you have an OTL that contains hundreds of Shaders, textures and all. If you are only using a few shaders, and need to crack one open, you'd probably end up with your entire shader library embedded, no?

Hehe... lots of SOPs already have local variable access... are there any in particular?  (Other than Carve ;) )

George.

21112[/snapback]

Hey George,

Another SOP that could stand to have local variable access is the PeakSOP - it could have $PT and $PR.

Thanks!

Jason

• 1 month later...

Nobody attempted a realistic city yet since this thread started?

I now understand the Copy Stamp well enough to have different looking buildings on a grid in different colours, have yet to look into HDA tho.. but I was wondering if anyone has gone as far as having a realistic city as in having a defined center, suburbs, having streets, sidewalks, highways etc?

any tip on how you could create a street system?

one option could be to use lsystems to create the steets, with hard angles it tends to look fairly rigid and artificial like city streets.. though to get a realistic layout using an existing map of a city is probably a better idea. You could process the image to only have the main streets, then run a trace sop to extract the paths to create them. Just throwing ideas..

Nobody attempted a realistic city yet since this thread started?

I now understand the Copy Stamp well enough to have different looking buildings on a grid in different colours, have yet to look into HDA tho.. but I was wondering if anyone has gone as far as having a realistic city as in having a defined center, suburbs, having streets, sidewalks, highways etc?

any tip on how you could create a street system?

22123[/snapback]

Hi guys,

After a long time without having some free time to play with Houdini, here is the lates rendering I have, now with materials working. I guess this is about what I wanted to see if I was capable to do. I can see that this ideia can go on for ever implementing more and more things things.

Thanks Jason for the fog tutorial.

post-847-1130725814_thumb.jpg