Voronoi inaccuracy (R16?)

urlGrey

Hello all,

I'm using the pre-fracture transform method (following this Lester Banks video, specifically) to roughen up voronoi cuts.  I feel like I've done this before without a problem, but now I'm discovering some little quirks in the form of misaligned points after cutting (see attached).

Increasing the mesh resolution helps; it's even good enough, but in some cases it never goes away--some points that should share the same position are a little offset from each other.  This is present even on my test setup with only a sphere, Attribute Vop to apply noise, and the Voronoi Fracture.  Has anyone seen this before?  Surely it's come up, but I couldn't find previous posts.

Thanks!

PS.  The place I'm currently working at has Houdini 16--that's not it, is it?  (I only ask that because it's the first time I've used 16 and I feel like I would have seen this behavior before.)  Increasing the mesh's resolution and changing the Scatter seed until the problems aren't very visible has made it good enough, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong/if there's a way to prevent this in the future.  Thanks again!

misaligned_points_voronoi.jpg

well....pay respect to the correct author of the video for a start...

then it would save ppl's time if you just upload the file then ppl can just dive in and see the problem...rather than ppl trying to replicate your problem.

5 minutes ago, marty said:

Not sure but Steven Knipping has a nice method where you use boolean shatter on duplicated coincident points with random point orient's, this creates 'grit'

Thanks, marty, I'll check it out!

30 minutes ago, Noobini said:

well....pay respect to the correct author of the video for a start...

then it would save ppl's time if you just upload the file then ppl can just dive in and see the problem...rather than ppl trying to replicate your problem.

....................Thank you, Noobini.

The correct author of the linked video is the venerable Simon Fiedler.  If I hurt Simon's feelings for referencing the blog that lead me to his video without mentioning Simon himself, I deeply apologize.

Please find attached my setup alongside my most earnest apologies for posting these vexing questions without including a scene file.  I have heard of 'scene file posting' before, but never thought the day would come when I'd have to take such drastic measures.

elaborate_complicated_example.hip

27 minutes ago, Noobini said:

maybe something to do with Cusp Interior Normals ? did you toggle yours off ?

No--increasing the Fuse distance sometimes grabs them, but half the time causes problems elsewhere, as you could imagine.

11 minutes ago, f1480187 said:

Yes!  Thanks for that, f; I wasn't searching the right keywords, but I knew someone had to have asked, somewhere.

Thanks guys!

• 10 months later...