I'm watching Steve Knipping's Applied Houdini-Rigids III. He does a point snap align thing that I don't understand. see attached vid. He calls it a magnet snap which I assume is a Maya term. Can someone explain how he does this?

Thanks

magnet_snapping.mp4

he just uses the point snap tool which is located on the left. You can even see it in your video that it gets activated. 

Thanks. I did notice that. Its not working for me. I select the bottom point enable the transform tool turn on point snapping. no snapping happening. not sure why. seams like it would work. 

I can make point snapping work in some cases but not in this one. see attached video. My original question is how to do the point align to axis snap but i can make these points snap at all. Why does it not work? 

thanks

snapping.mp4

Edited by bonassus

Thanks for the reply woodenduck. No, the geo in the video i posted is a test with a line sop. It's not packed. It's just two points and a line prim and yet point snapping does nothing... 

01) don't think it will ever work with a line of 2 points...I couldn't find a way...
02) more than 2 points will work.......but not ALL the times....don't ask why...
03) you first move your point in some axis....THEN you move your cursor to the 'target' point...and pray it will 'snap' by changing the colour to cyan...it's a 2 step process.

(will work with multi-selection too, ie. if you select 2 points...and try to snap to a 3rd point, it will align to the ave/center of the first 2 points)

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 1

ok, just tried a Line with 2 points, Add to delete the line but retain points, .....it works !!! but the process is still same...move some point in some axis/plane first...then move cursor to the 'target' point...it snaps...

Edited by Noobini

Awesome, Thank you. I didn't know about part where you hover over the second point. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate this. 

2 minutes ago, bonassus said:

I didn't know about part where you hover over the second point.

haha neither did I...but it annoyed :angry: the hell out of me so couldn't let it go until I found a way...

• Thanks 1