Sign in to follow this  
monomind

How to deform animated geometry

Quite new to houdini, enjoying it very much.
I see a lot of animated mesh deformation videos on instagram recently. For instance this account has many of them.
https://www.instagram.com/_estebandiacono/
I want to learn the general logic behind these animations. I can do things like voronoi fracturing an object, or filling it with a growing spaghetti line :) but I can only do this to static geometry. I think there is a method to make those things for dynamic geo as well. Is that a trick? I hope this is a clear question.

Depending on what kind of effect you want you either use the attr interpolate or the point deform here is a simple example 

Deform_ex.hipnc

• Thanks 1

How can I have something like this on animated structures: 

If I do pointdeform before vdb, it needs to calculate vdb every frame, a bit slow and jittery, as new topology is generated every frame, however if I do the pointdeform after single time calculation of vdb then most of the geometry is stretched or deformed in an undesired way. What's the best approach in similar cases

then the deformed geometry is re-deformed with the anim and spheres won't fit in (or they're deformed as well, depending on where they're merged)