dgani

clang: error: unknown argument: '-fobjc-gc'

Hi All,

I'm getting started with HDK, and while trying to build geoisosurface.C I encounter the error:

clang: error: unknown argument: '-fobjc-gc'

I'm compiling with hcustom -s geoisosurface.C on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I am in the Houdini console, and I've successfully launched Houdini from it. I also have the most updated version of XCode, v9.1.

Right before encountering the error, the console prints out:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++ geoisosurface.o -o ./geoisosurface -Wl,-rpath,/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.671/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/../Libraries -L/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.671/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/../Libraries /Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.671/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/../Houdini -Wl,-rpath,/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.671/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/../../../.. -arch x86_64 -fobjc-gc -framework OpenGL -framework Cocoa

I've done some digging already. Read, write, and execute have been enabled with chmod. Here are the other threads I looked at:

https://sidefx.com/forum/topic/18773/?page=1#post-88181

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/31784/?page=1#post-147988

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks! Any idea how I can do that? I'm just using the hcompile that is included with Houdini.

Is there somewhere I can find the hcompile makefile or something?

Hmm I'm wrong... I don't have a Mac available at the moment so I can't test it.  If hcustom supplies -fobj-gc' then its most likely correct

Are you using the same version of clang that Houdini was compiled with?  I'm not sure how XCode versions relates to clang. 

I've tried looking for what version of Clang Houdini was compiled with, but I can't find anything. The only HDK documentation for determining version is for Linux. I've looked at the details of the application, but I can't find anything about the Clang compiling version.

Thank you! I think the issue is that I'm using XCode 9 instead of XCode 8. Testing it now...

That worked! I am successfully able to compile and load plugins after downgrading my Xcode version to 7.3.

Thanks again!

Edited by dgani