[SOLVED] Grains > replace geo

caskal

Hey magicians,

Been fighting with this pile setup for a couple of days, I need to make a candy pile, I'm using grains but when I replace the geo there are some artifacts like the geo is inside the particle and leaves weird holes, anyone knows how this can be fixed? It need to be the more realistic way possible

pilex.thumb.jpg.957a4a6f1076504e6537b86893e5a349.jpg

@f1480187 would love to hear your thoughts sensei

Thanks

pile3.hip

Edited by caskal

The holes/gaps are caused because you are copying a sphere to points after the simulation then scaling the sphere into an ellipse/pill shape.

A better approach is to shape your geometry first then submit that geometry for true collision testing. Then you will get a gap-free pile.

ap_M&M_drop_into_jar.hiplc

m&m_pile.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Atom said:

The holes/gaps are caused because you are copying a sphere to points after the simulation then scaling the sphere into an ellipse/pill shape.

A better approach is to shape your geometry first then submit that geometry for true collision testing. Then you will get a gap-free pile.

ap_M&M_drop_into_jar.hiplc

m&m_pile.gif

You saved my day!, this is exactly what I was trying to achieve, thanks a lot @Atom 

Played a bit with @Atom setup, main issue was houdini getting slower at high frames so I made a proxy to collide (pile at the end will be static thankfully)

2017-11-15_20-16-06.gif.f9b95ca6e4e18f661778a7cf51272789.gif

2017-11-15_20-46-41.thumb.jpg.9fc6e4ee5c764a3cbffd7c6d71c05030.jpg

P.S: How can I stop emiting geo at certain frame? I tried $FF < 200 at rbdpackedobject creation frame with no luck, maybe in the sop solver? 

P.S 2: I'll export this to cinema 4d to render, how can I export to texture each candy in say 5 colors with a logo on it? adding a uv texture sop?

Cheers!

Edited by caskal

add an enabled solver 

$SF<=200

About exporting to C4D, you can export UVs and do the shading in C4D. But not 100% sure how C4D will handle it. I know that they added color vertex in 19 so you could look into that as well.

Captureb.PNG

Edited by Sepu
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sepu said:

add an enabled solver 

$SF<=200

About exporting to C4D, you can export UVs and do the shading in C4D. But not 100% sure how C4D will handle it. I know that they added color vertex in 19 so you could look into that as well.

Captureb.PNG

could you explain this please, doesn't this stop EVERYTHING ? ie. a falling piece stops dead in midair ?

Edit: must be me...after reset sim...all is fine

Edited by Noobini