Smoke flickers when thin

kashmere

I see the artifact in the high dense areas but, I don't know what you are trying to circle for me in the dark area. To show you have no density in there and that you are supposed to? The block artifact can be because of a number of things. Do you have a shader applied? What is the scale of this scene? Did you crank disturbance up to high? You mentioned this is low res, maybe the resolution is still too low? 

So many different things it could be. In this case, uploading your file or a test file showing the issue would be more beneficial. 

Hi Ryan,

I will attach the hip file to this.

- the artifact is appearing when the smoke thins out, sorry for the poor scene setup and camera angle which is giving the illusion that artifact is appearing in dense region. That is why I circled then, the region is the left circle is as thin as the region in the right circle.

- the scale of the scene is real world, in meters. disturbance is not very high and It is animated to become 0.05 by 48-60 frames. I will try killing it completely for my next iteration.

- I am using shader from my previous project where the explosion was baout a 100 times larger than this one. I have not yet refined it for this project.

Shot_02_odforce.hipnc

Missing alot of components in that file to be able to investigate property unfortunately. It is possible it has something to do with the shader also (even though it is just the fireball shader). Take a look at these topics I found on some other things you can try.

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20121-streak-artifact-in-billowy-smoke/

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23667-pyro-smoke-artifacts/

You can also try locking the frame in question in your file and then reuploading it on here.