Area Lights, High Detailed Shadows (viewport)

StefanA

So still on the viewport hunt :) The reason why these kind of basic questions comes from me now is that we are trying out Houdini as a generalist tool and hope that more Maya artists at work will start using it. So I'm testing a lot of things.

This I've tested this ona bunch of computers (and also asked SideFX support) and lastly I get to my home computer which is a iMac (mid 2014) and they all show the same strange artefacts. As you can see in the attached viewport this happens when you have High Detailed Shadows turned on. So when (if) we are going to do animatics also in Houdini this could be a potential thing that would bother me and also my artists.

Is anyone also getting this? It's standard plane and a area light.

best regards

stefan andersson

Below, Screenshot at home with Apprentice 16.0.745

houdini_viewport_lights.jpg

Edited by StefanA

On 11/30/2017 at 11:23 PM, marty said:

yeah - viewport shadows are not very cool currently - can you please send a Rfe or bug report to SideFx. 

Yes I did send a bug report to SideFX before posting here actually. Just wanted to hear if anyone else has the same issue, which it seems to be.

thanks for the answer!

regards

stefan