Resizing a NTFS/HPFS (Win2K) partition

MG

First of all, sorry for the rather off-topic thread. But if anyone feels like helping me; Does anyone know wow to resize a NTFS (Win2K) partition?

I've tried this with PartitionMagic (7.0), but it didn't work and later I read somewhere it didn't work for others aswell (in several discussions on the net). In WinNT, for example, I've never had trouble resizing the partition.

there's no linux program (not commercial) that I know can resize NTFS partitions. Fips and Parted don't work on ntfs.

I suggest you could do a full backup of the ntfs partition, create a new one of the needed size and dump the backup on the new partition, then delete the old one.

btw, be careful where you place the windows boot partition, I've never been able to have it start beyond the 8th gigabyte of the disk, while on linux I don't have that problem anymore.

there's no linux program (not commercial) that I know can resize NTFS partitions. Fips and Parted don't work on ntfs.

I suggest you could do a full backup of the ntfs partition, create a new one of the needed size and dump the backup on the new partition, then delete the old one.

btw, be careful where you place the windows boot partition, I've never been able to have it start beyond the 8th gigabyte of the disk, while on linux I don't have that problem anymore.

I knew that, and I acted pretty carelessly. So I wiped away my NTFS partition. But that was just the beginning of all my trouble, since I couldn't restore Win2K anymore. So I am going to stick to Win98 for the time being and do my 3D animation (Houdini) work in Linux.

Also, I had some huge problems with the harddrive itself. And my shitty BIOS doesn't support any low-format features either ;(

Do you really require NTFS? If you don't, Win2000 runs fine with FAT32. The problem you had was due to Win2000 not finding the NTFS master file table (MFT) hence no restoration will work if the MFT is gone.

If you're using IBM HDD, you can go here for HDD utilities.

Go here if you're using Seagate drives.

The utilities provide Low Level Format so have fun! :)

Cheers!

steven

Do you really require NTFS? If you don't, Win2000 runs fine with FAT32. The problem you had was due to Win2000 not finding the NTFS master file table (MFT) hence no restoration will work if the MFT is gone.

If you're using IBM HDD, you can go here for HDD utilities.

Go here if you're using Seagate drives.

The utilities provide Low Level Format so have fun! :)

Cheers!

steven

Thanks Steven Ong, but it's already too late. I know Windoze 2000 runs fine on FAT32 (only a little less efficient and fast)... but it was like this for me:

My computer:

- In the beginning I had Win2K installed, with NTFS partition.

- Then, few days ago, I tried to resize the partition. Not knowing yet then it wouldn't be possible AND I did do it before with WinNT. And I failed. Best of all, instead of PartitionMagic giving me a little hint/warning of some kind, I had to find out the hard way...

- I've been trying to restore Win2K, without any result. And later, when removing all the partitions Win2K didn't want to install yet. In the end it was halting on weird hardware errors at some point.

- I installed Win98 and then trying to update it with Win2K. Also failed horribly.

- Then I settled with Win98 and Linux. Which works excellent, for the time being. (Even though I'd prefer, the slightly less worse, Win2K).

All in all, I didn't loose that much. I had a lot backed on various CD's. The things that I lost I can hopely recreate since I do still have all my sketches/storyboards etc.