Inflate Cloth using JUST Cloth

Noobini

so I won't look like a dill, I've searched the forum for Inflating Cloth...can anyone tell me if it's possible WITHOUT resorting to FEM ?

It's a simple concept, have a sphere, ie. balloon, inflate it, blow it up (not to smithereens, just volumewise)...can't be that hard ?

Yes. I've worked it out but as said, don't wanna look like a dill so could someone please confirm for me if it is possible and sooooooo easy that I might have missed something so obvious...

No FEM please.

you could try approximating cloth with pop grains. check out the granular sheets example for ideas on setting up constraints. then just apply a force on the points pushing outwards and hope your constraints will deal with it. you could break constraints in a sop solver if you need popping action.

Edited by toadstorm

here's proof I can do it using JUST Cloth...but please someone tell me "yeah it's always been possible like this or that way using just cloth".....show me...

My Cloth below doesn't even have to be watertight...I clipped the bottom off...still works...

InflateCloth1.jpg

ok then, why do all previous attempts call another FEM solver instead of using what's already there that you point out IS FEM ?

(tho I could argue, yes, it's FEM but its Solver Type is Cloth NOT Finite Elements...but whatever, I've worked out my simple way of doing things.....when I get more experience, then I'll throw in more advanced nodes)

Edited by Noobini

here's my file for all the noobs out there...this is one way to inflate Cloth using JUST the clothsolver. It's my way of learning Houdini Cloth.

If experts want to yell at me:

- hey noob, you're not using any sopsolver

- hey noob, you're not using any multisolver

- hey noob, you're not using any grainsolver

- hey noob, you're not using any FEM (you're right, my clothsolver is set to Cloth)

- hey noob, the clothsolver is damn slow

....don't worry, I got zero experience to argue with you...I'm just sticking to the title in my thread...is all

Any tips on how to speed up the sim (clothsolver) are greatly appreciated.

BlowMe1.jpg

vu_BlowMe.hipnc

(zip file contains filecache)

vu_BlowMe.zip

Edited by Noobini