Wire Geometry

megalith

Hi,

I have a wire object deforming in DOPs, but how do I get that data back into SOPs? Figured I could do as I did with RBD objects:

/obj/dopnet1:wireobject1/Geometry

But that didn't work...I created the wire out of a polygonal circle, so why wouldn't that work?

Thanks for any insight you can offer into this weirdness.

~megalith

That should work just fine (I'm assuming you put that string into an Object Merge SOP?). Could you post a hip file?

Mark

21357[/snapback]

Well, created another file to send out and I found the problem in the process...I had renamed my Wire Object to myWire and was using the wrong name in the SOP.

Do have another question, though. I've looked in the documentation for where it mentions to use the interesting path (

/obj/dopnet1:wireobject1/Geometry) and haven't found anything. What other information can be retrieved from the wire besides Geometry?

Thanks!

~megalith

WireTest.zip

Well, the Object Merge SOP can only extract geometry from a DOP simulation. The Fetch Object can use a similar syntax to extract Position information (and output an appropriate transform). The Dynamics CHOP can extract just about anything except geometry (position, impact data, other state information) as can the dop expression functions like dopfield. But with the expressions and CHOPs you only get a few numbers at a time and you have to interpret the results. What other type of information did you want to get out of the simulation?

Mark

Well, the Object Merge SOP can only extract geometry from a DOP simulation. The Fetch Object can use a similar syntax to extract Position information (and output an appropriate transform). The Dynamics CHOP can extract just about anything except geometry (position, impact data, other state information) as can the dop expression functions like dopfield. But with the expressions and CHOPs you only get a few numbers at a time and you have to interpret the results. What other type of information did you want to get out of the simulation?

Mark

21362[/snapback]

Thanks for the response Mark! I didn't really have any particular information in mind, I just wanted to know what information was available to get...and you answered just that. :)

Thanks!

~megalith