Pop curve force with multiple curves.

rod.vfx.td

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to born particles along curves, and use "Pop Curve Force" to push the particle along own initial birth path...

problem:

when curves intersect, the force act strangely, so i need each particle be influenced by own birth curve and nothing more... but need be procedurally, because is a lot of curves, and manually attach a "Pop Curve Force" for each curve is impractical.

any ideas??

thanks in advance! :)

I'm not sure there is a way for you to do it without creating multiple curve force nodes, since I don't think there is a way to distinguish the curves from each other in DOPs.  You can easily group the particles themselves and have the forces only affect certain groups, see attached.

PopCurves_control_RnD_01_EDIT.hipnc

2 hours ago, rod.vfx.td said:

look at crossing.. i need they not influeced by particles born far from each own curve...

problem is pop curve force have no control or locals about what curve primitive will be being used for each particle... at least, not default node...

easy....AND hacky !!!

IMO, while I don't like your orig setup....so what...I'll deal with what's infront of me...so you've keyframed your delete of the 'emitters'...why can't I do the same ?...so in DOP, look at popcurveforce, SOP path...voila !!!

Of course, you'll have to tweak the timings to get the look you want as the particles on the the first curve would need to 'die' sooner so they look like exploding...

(I'll say it again...being a noob does have its advantage, you don't have preconceived advanced ideas...you just deal with things using common sense)

PopCurves_control_RnD_01_Hacky.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

17 hours ago, Aragatory said:

I'm not sure there is a way for you to do it without creating multiple curve force nodes, since I don't think there is a way to distinguish the curves from each other in DOPs.  You can easily group the particles themselves and have the forces only affect certain groups, see attached.

PopCurves_control_RnD_01_EDIT.hipnc

Thanks man, as i say before, this is impratical, this scene is a simple one, i need apply this to hundreds of curves at same time, procedurally. (my example is not procedural at SOP level because is just a test.

16 hours ago, Noobini said:

easy....AND hacky !!!

IMO, while I don't like your orig setup....so what...I'll deal with what's infront of me...so you've keyframed your delete of the 'emitters'...why can't I do the same ?...so in DOP, look at popcurveforce, SOP path...voila !!!

Of course, you'll have to tweak the timings to get the look you want as the particles on the the first curve would need to 'die' sooner so they look like exploding...

(I'll say it again...being a noob does have its advantage, you don't have preconceived advanced ideas...you just deal with things using common sense)

PopCurves_control_RnD_01_Hacky.hipnc

No man... no, no no...

as i write before, i need all curves at same time, hundred of curves indeed, this (my example is not procedural at SOP level because is just a test)

Your idea on hacky scene is quite obvious (sorry), i can't change input curve, because i need all curves being affected at same time, on example scene the time form emitter A and B is well separated just for simplification.

i will do another scene, including a attribute for particle to indicate what emiter originating, and multiple curves at same time... but i'm busy now, maybe on end of day.

thanks anyway!

i had an idea, but i don't like the solution because is too much convoluted... anyway.

using a WEDGE i change each curve, and isolate each set of particles, collect the results to disk (ROP output driver), get again procedurally all caches, and merge into a single result geometry.

it's very bad solution( convoluted, and particles can't interact with each other set of particles), i wish to get a better control on DOP level of what curve to influence what particle with a single "Pop Curve Force".

i will implement this today, but maybe there's is another "less weird" solution. :)

anyone? :D

Edited by rod.vfx.td

I had an idea. Instead of using a pop curve force, apply the force from the curve to the particle using a sop solver. That way you could have an id on both the curve and the particles to make them only interact with the matching curve. 

51 minutes ago, Aragatory said:

I had an idea. Instead of using a pop curve force, apply the force from the curve to the particle using a sop solver. That way you could have an id on both the curve and the particles to make them only interact with the matching curve. 

" apply the force from the curve to the particle using a sop solver"

yes, but simple vector curve velocity ones not solve the problem... what i need is all falloffs , rotation, force blending, etc who the built in have, so it's very complicated, no?) 

i look inside pop curve force node, looks complex to re-implement in SOP, the original one is em Geo VOP inside a DOP context.

but, the real solution, i think, is re-implement POP curve force add curve ID Particle attribute matching. (no time to do this,for me, i will need a lot of research and testing to do this)

Edited by rod.vfx.td