bobc4d

Is Python in Houdini the same as "regular" python?

Yeah it's the same python. Houdini only adds the hou module, i.e. HOM. That allows you to manipulate houdini functions and classes. So you can learn the basics of python anywhere.

Have fun :)

But it is still python 2.7 not python 3.x.

So you still use...

print "my string"

Not

print ("my string")

All CG companies and softwares work in 2.7, very few have made the switch to 3+. Plus you can do print("Hello World") in Houdini, so you'll need a more complex example ;)

For some one learning python it really doesn't matter if they learn 3+ vs 2.7. The differences are extremely small for intro learning, and one stack overflow question away.

I don't think there is much of a major speed difference. You'll still be better off with iron py and other similar branches that have more compiled components. Python 3+ will get all the latest and greatest stuff so it might be faster in a lot of ways, but nothing comparable to the difference between other languages. 

You can theoretically use your own python with Houdini, if you wanted to a different library, and then just import the hou module. Generally this is a lot more work to maintain, but bigger studios have a few good reasons to do this depending on their internal library of tools they developed over the years.

• Thanks 1