monomind

Zdepth in point VOP

Is it possible to get zdepth within the point vop directly?
I currently calculate the distance from each point to the provided camera, but this seems to be very slow.

When rendering openGL, for instance, I can render out a zdepth in no time, so I blieve the information is already there, just not sure how to reach it through VOP

8 minutes ago, monomind said:

When rendering openGL, for instance, I can render out a zdepth in no time, so I blieve the information is already there, just not sure how to reach it through VOP

that  Zbuffer is a low res 12bit(?) z buffer calculated on the GPU. Nothing to do with a VOP.

That would be sufficient for me, if, somehow it's possible to get that information (per point) into VOP

Distance calculation per point is too costy to do per-frame, with too many points --- very slow.. Any ideas that would speed this process up would also benefit me highly!

It took 10 seconds to compute distance between @P and some vector for 1 000 000 000 of points in Point Wrangle. Did you try to close viewport and geometry spreadsheet? They can be very slow.

10 seconds is ca comparably long time to have (almost) real time preview of what's going on.

I need to see what's going on through the camera that's going to be rendered, otherwise, what's the point of all this?