Redshift sand sparks?

Hey magicians,

I'm new to redshift, I'm trying to generate some sort of glossy particles to add some sexyness, but I can't get the desired result.

What I tried is making 2 instances, 1 with the full point cloud, and the other with the glossy ones, but I can't make them to pop like the references.

References:

sand_ref.thumb.jpg.0883fd8eb6ef83a1a2334c4956e35c6c.jpg}

What I have so far:

mytry.thumb.jpg.d00c27f00eac053bc4909ae3bc5fbb82.jpg

Thanks!

I would almost say that is bordering on a compositing trick, something like a duplicate of the footage, only brightest part with the new layer in Add mode.

But here are a few things you might want to try...

If you are using area lights, tighten up their size a bit. You'll get a hotter white point out of a smaller area at the same intensity.

On the material reflection set it higher than 1.0 to brighten it up a bit but keep the next parameter very low to 0 or 0.1.(i.e. very little reflection blur)

Part of what I am seeing in the original is the DOF bokeh effect. So drop your DOF quite a bit more and maybe double the size of your subject/torus. You might pick up a little more lens action on a larger (or smaller) scaled object.

It is looking good though. Can't wait to see colors added in.

• Like 1

Hey,
You can also try randomly setting the pscale of perhaps 5% of your particles to be bigger as well.

Or have a second set of particles that have planes/geo instanced to them with the cusp value set low (20 or lower) on a facet node, with 'post compute normals' selected.
This can help catch glints, especially if the faces are rotating.

Also, be sure that under the 'sample filtering' tab on the Redshift ROP settings, your 'Max Subsample Intensity' and the 'Max Secondary Ray Intensity' are set to at least 2 - this will aggressively clamp any hotspots when set lower.

5a42c25fb14c3_Screenshotfrom2017-12-2623-39-28.png.e5b823938b9b2524723e5f7f944dd313.png

Hope that helps!
Matt.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Caskal, 

I would instance non-spherical geo onto the points so that they don't render as spheres. Then also put some variety in the pscale so that some of those larger pieces pick up more of a prominent specular highlight. 

Also, random rotation on each particle will help. (I usually just create a few "attribute randomize") nodes, as they are very useful for that stuff.

The highlights you are seeing in your reference are most definitely flat surface areas reflecting light. So I would use something like a cube or tetra, with hard normals. That should do the trick. Dont forget to rotate them with time, and you should see some nice specs travelling around.

Your reference seems to have a metallic shader on it, and a light source that is very small. Your render seems to have softer shadow and larger lights. As well as a more diffuse lighting. What you need is contrast, in both your shader and your lighting. 

Also remember that you are looking at a bokeh effect. So dialing your aperture size and focal length will also affect the look. 

I hope this helps, 

Good Luck
Mats

Edited by swedeballs