$JOB dependent hdas and python modules

sanostol

Hello,

as python libs stored that way work fine (like all the other stuff , otls, presets,  scripts):

$HSITE/houdiniX.Y/python2.7libs 

I was wondering how to do this $JOB related

the goal is to have assets and otls available per project. As old school mentions in this post, it should be possible by adding houdini directory into the job folder.

$JOB/houdini/python2.7libs 

but libs and otls are not recognized.

the other way would be to setup all search paths manually in a startup script, if there is a $JOB way to do it it would be much cooler

thanks in advance

I prefer to have HOUDINI_PATH set in houdini.env:

HOUDINI_PATH = C:/path/to/houdini/stuff;&

where "C:/path/to/houdini/stuff" is a folder containing "python2.7libs", "otls", "toolbar", etc.

For the $JOB way, how about "$JOB/python2.7libs"-like structure?

Setting only $JOB semi-works for me. It did pick otls and Python libs, but didn't load shelf scripts from "$JOB/toolbar". Even if something is broken on my side, and it should act as a proper $HOUDINI_PATH, what if $JOB is set by the project and stored within a hip file? All stuff will be missing.

I "use" $JOB by setting start location on Houdini's shortcut, only to have save file dialog defaulted to my dumpster. Houdini treats it like setting $JOB on Windows.

Edited by f1480187

I dont why I assumed that an hda or scripts folder inside $JOB would be recognized automatically, but I fear that one has to take care for those folders to show up in scanned asset libs.. 

Edited by sekow

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

It would be cool if this just worked out the box. So we could tick if we wanted houdini to find Job specific HDa/OTLs

I am still quite confused how to get this to work. I assume there are multiple way. All of which seem a little complicated. I made a quick test with a small python script thats on a null and when I run the code. it appends to the OTL scan path. But as  I am no pro at houdini and I am trying to set this up for a Company enviroment I am still moving slightly blind.

Is there a new way to do it with Packages? Dynamically? as when we upgrade to hou 18 (when deadline starts to support it) I would like to step away from the enviroment variable way of doing things and move all to packages.

Also, I understand I could write this in a 456.py script. But I have had multiple errors with deadline and both the 123.py and 456.py scripts where it throws errors and I cannot seem to pinpoint the problem and solve it. many errors about its not finding hou. whatever.

cheers

I might have to contact support to see if i can get a straight answer.

Daniel